Author Topic: Avast signature on incoming clean messages  (Read 1377 times)

Offline cbino

Avast signature on incoming clean messages
« on: February 13, 2021, 04:11:17 PM »
Why hasn't it been possible for some time now to certify clean incoming emails with Avast signature (in the past it was possible to do this). This can only be done for emails sent.
In practice, the recipient of the email certainly has antivirus software installed which, among other things, checks his inbox and does not need to know that the sender has sent a message scanned by Avast.
For those who, on the other hand, have installed Avast it would be an additional guarantee of protection if Avast signed the clean incoming message.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 04:16:27 PM by cbino »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast signature on incoming pilot messages
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 04:34:41 PM »
If inbound emails are scanned by avast why would you need them to be certified clean, if they were infected there would be an alert/flagged as a Virus.

For me a signature is no guarantee, these could surely be spoofed in scam emails, to give a false sense of security.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline cbino

Re: Firma Avast sui messaggi puliti in arrivo
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 05:13:27 PM »
This is really beautiful !!
If outgoing emails are scanned by avast why would I have to certify them as clean, if they were infected the recipient's antivirus would provide.
Even for the recipient a signature is not a guarantee .....

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast signature on incoming clean messages
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 05:19:06 PM »
If outgoing emails are scanned by avast why would I have to certify them as clean, if they were infected the recipient's antivirus would provide.

You don't have to certify them.
Its called promotion/advertising ;)
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 07:33:38 PM »
For those who, on the other hand, have installed Avast it would be an additional guarantee of protection if Avast signed the clean incoming message.
Hi, if you use a mail client (like Thunderbird), you should find that info for sent/received mails in the mail header.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline cbino

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 08:11:37 PM »

You don't have to certify them.
Its called promotion/advertising ;)
Ok, now here we are.
Long live the promotion, publicity!
Choice without a minimum of logic anyway.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 08:15:14 PM by cbino »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2021, 10:55:25 PM »
It isn't about logic, these signatures (even when they were in incoming emails) have been there for as long as I can remember, it is more about history.

When they were there people complained about them because they were enabled by default.  Certainly for some time they were disabled by default. I have no idea if this is the case now as it is an extremely long time since I every did a clean reinstall.

This topic started out as you complaining why they weren't in the inbound emails.  I simply straightened out the why that really wasn't necessary and the fact of life that the written word (in an email) is just that not a guarantee. 

Then you got all upset at the logic of it all, don't shoot the messenger, just disable it if you now don't like the idea of it.
If you now see that the value is not a 100% guarantee to the recipient.  If however it is from someone you know (and you know it isn't a spoofed email), checking the email headers, etc. etc.  If genuine then it shows you care or the sender cares and the email has been scanned.

We live in much changed times now and 100% guaranties are pretty much gone.

Offline cbino

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2021, 11:41:23 PM »
Perhaps it is worth clarifying that they were not enabled by default but were enabled in the Avast Settings.
Those who have recently limited themselves to updating Avast still benefit from the avast signature in incoming emails. On the other hand, those who recently carried out a clean installation no longer have Avast's signature in incoming e-mails ... and this also seems rather contradictory to me

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2021, 01:36:49 AM »
Sorry, you have what information I have gathered as an avast user over many years.

Outside of that I won't speculate.