Author Topic: New install without internet  (Read 3027 times)

joburg

New install without internet
« on: November 16, 2006, 09:52:15 PM »
I need to install Avast Home on a new PC (running XP Pro) and would like to check if all in order.
I've not yet connected that PC to the SP and therefore a few checks that Avast may not pick up?
Also, is it possible to install Avast on an other partition than C or is that not advisable?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: New install without internet
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 11:19:56 PM »
Download the copy of avast and save it to a USB pen drive or CD, etc. and copy that to the new system.

My copy of avast is on a different partition to C:
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

joburg

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 02:42:40 PM »
Thanks DavidR, will proceed.
I suppose Avast will not intall properly at this stage because of the missing connectivity?
Will it give me any problems?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 02:53:20 PM »
Sorry I'm confused, avast should have no problem installing on a stand alone system not connected to the internet.

What is this, 'I suppose Avast will not install properly at this stage because of the missing connectivity' what problem ?

The only problem would be it can't connect for updates, you would have to do that manually by periodically downloading the VPS file and installing it on the stand alone system, the same is true if there are any program updates you would have to download the complete program and install over the top of the existing version.

Because of this being a stand alone system with no internet connection you would have to change the Program Settings, Connections (Basic) to Manual for both Viris database (VPS) and Program, otherwise avast will check to se if a connection is present (it doesn't try to establish a connection).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

joburg

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 12:25:20 AM »
That PC will be connected as soon as I have all anti progs in place. Just wanted to ensure that I've not overlooked any unforeseen probabilities.
Thanks, I'll install.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 12:48:20 AM »
Thanks DavidR, will proceed.
I suppose Avast will not intall properly at this stage because of the missing connectivity?
Will it give me any problems?
No. You can install without connectivity... it won't bring troubles, I mean, installation problems.
You can update (both program and virus database) later, off-line, if you want or need  :)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 01:28:23 AM »
That PC will be connected as soon as I have all anti progs in place. Just wanted to ensure that I've not overlooked any unforeseen probabilities.
Thanks, I'll install.

That should be fine, and a good precaution to get all the security programs you need first, install and then go on-line.