Author Topic: HELP! Mail Scanner Is Killing Me!!!  (Read 3400 times)

vragoder

HELP! Mail Scanner Is Killing Me!!!
« on: November 17, 2006, 02:33:25 AM »
Can somebody please explain me how to set up Avast Mail Scanner to allow scanning mail from Gmail Accounts!!!
I use Avast 4.7 Home for some time and I'm very happy with the program... But I'm not really a computer wiz, so when downloading mail I must disable Avasts mail scanner to get my mail (don't know any other way). I'm using Thuderbird 1.5, Windows XP...
I don't know what does redirected ports mean in Mail Scanner settings... I tried to set them up by reading port settings from mail client but had no success... Help! Please!
I use mail for business and want to keep my computer secured but just don't understand these settings.  ???

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: HELP! Mail Scanner Is Killing Me!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 02:51:07 AM »
Gmail uses SSL (secure/encrypted) email, this is designed to keep out prying eyes, so avast can't scan it without the aid of a third party tool STunnel. Gmail does scan its email so the requirement for it to be scanned again is lessened.

Some Topics you can check out relating to avast, Gmail and Stunnel:
Gmail and Avast Providers
Solution: Using GMail with Avast and a SPAM filter
Redirecting multiple SSL accounts

avast only monitors port 25 SMTP, 110 POP3, 119 NNTP and 143 IMAP (these are also the ports redirected to the Internet Mail scanner so they can be scanned) and when monitoring these ports it is expecting standard protocols for these ports, which doesn't include SSL/TLS encrypted protocol.

You don't mention what ports you are using ?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 02:53:37 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 05:16:34 AM »
I am a little surprised by your comment that you must disable avast's mail scanner to get your mail.

If you have modified the settings of the avast mail scanner to try to add the ports used by Gmail then please remove them at once, having them there does not work and can prevent your mail access.

If you have not modified your avast mail scanner settings - then you should be able to receive your mail with the default settings.  If this is not the case then please let us know.

vragoder

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 11:08:34 PM »
Gmail uses SSL (secure/encrypted) email, this is designed to keep out prying eyes, so avast can't scan it without the aid of a third party tool STunnel. Gmail does scan its email so the requirement for it to be scanned again is lessened.
   So You mean that I don't need to scan mail from Gmail or...?

vragoder

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 11:15:51 PM »
I am a little surprised by your comment that you must disable avast's mail scanner to get your mail.
   I must disable it because I entered ports 995 for pop and 587 for SMTP which I i thought must be in the redirected port list in mail scanner... :'(

If you have modified the settings of the avast mail scanner to try to add the ports used by Gmail then please remove them at once, having them there does not work and can prevent your mail access.
    It did, I did it, and I removed it, and now Thunderbird works fine, but my mail from Gmail isn't scanned right? The other account I use has standard pop port (110) but haven't given me no trouble to access/scan it in the first place.

vragoder

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 11:17:40 PM »
P.S. Thax guys for helping...

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 11:25:00 PM »
   So You mean that I don't need to scan mail from Gmail or...?
No, I mean the choice is yours, since they will have at least been scanned by Gmail the risk is less than if they hadn't been scanned at all. If you feel the risk is too much and you want them scanned you will need to use the third party interface STunnel.

Glad that we could help, welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security