Author Topic: Can't uninstall  (Read 1622 times)

Offline jerome.greutmann

Can't uninstall
« on: January 14, 2024, 01:04:14 PM »
Hi, I've been trying to uninstall avast cleanup. I've followed the instructions on your website https://support.avast.com/en-gb/article/uninstall-cleanup/#mac

Everytime I use the uninstaller, it says that I've encountered an issue "Sorry something went wrong. Please try again"

Note I don't have a premium account. So it says "Avast cleanup premium uninstaller" DO i have to buy the premium version to install? Are you kidding? Someone help please.

I'm on a mac

Offline prokopes_

• Avast team
Re: Can't uninstall
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2024, 01:51:47 PM »
Hi, I'm sorry to hear that. Can you please try the technique below to uninstall Cleanup on your Mac?
  • Open Finder
  • Select - Go - Go to folder
  • Type this path and press enter "/Applications/AvastCleanup.app/Contents"
  • Run the "Uninstaller"

If that doesn't help, it should be enough to run the following command in Terminal
  • "sudo rm -fr /Library/Application\ Support/com.avast.cleanup"

Offline Victoria35

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2024, 04:31:15 PM »
I am on a Mac, Silicon chip, Sonoma and have Avast CleanupPremium and have tried to. uninstall it by opening it and using the uninstall menu item and that didn't work then opening package and running uninstaller and that didnt' work and then used Terminal and that didn't work = It says it can't be trashed because it's open = I ran Activity Monitor and tried to quit it but it won't quit.  Then when I ran the uninstaller itself got the message shown in the screenshot.   I want it OFF my machine.

Offline prokopes_

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2024, 04:55:23 PM »
Hi @Victoria35, I'm sorry for the delayed response. Could you please try following the alternative steps below?
1. Open the Terminal app.
2. Paste and run the following command:
"sudo rm -rf /Applications/AvastCleanup.app/"
3. Once that's done, also run the following command to remove the remaining app files:
"sudo rm -rf ~/Library/Application\ Support/com.avast.cleanup"

Let me know if it worked.