Author Topic: "Virus Found" popup  (Read 5899 times)

Fudsey

"Virus Found" popup
« on: November 17, 2006, 11:01:08 PM »
I have the "Home edition" and was wondering if it was possible to stop the "Virus Found" alert that pops up whenever you start a scan. I have a a terabyte of harddrive space that I need to scan so I start a scan before I go to bed and it's kinda useless when after 2-3 gigs scanned, it finds something and stops.

Is there a way to have the scanner automatically put the file in the chest if it can't be fixed? ???

Or do I have to buy the pro edition for this option? ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: "Virus Found" popup
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 11:27:39 PM »
I have the "Home edition" and was wondering if it was possible to stop the "Virus Found" alert that pops up whenever you start a scan.
Yes only in Professional version (see picture here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=13315.msg112285#msg112285).

Is there a way to have the scanner automatically put the file in the chest if it can't be fixed? ???
In Home version you can check the option "Don't show this window again" as soon as the first virus warning appears, and click on "No action" button. This way, nothing will be done and you will be presented the results at the end (and you can perform actions from there).

Or you can use Silent Mode:

Left click the 'a' blue icon.
It will start On-access protection

Click on Internet Mail and then on Customize.
Go to Advanced tab and select Silent Mode and the default answer No. This will send the file (email) to Chest.

Do the same for the and Outlook/Exchange plugin.
The answer Yes in Silent Mode keeps the virus in the file or into the message (attach) and continue the scanning. You can't configure 'delete the infected file' in the Home version.

You can do the same for Standard Shield provider, but it won't be a good idea...

Silent mode in the case of the WebShield provider simply means that avast will keep pressing the "Abort connection" button for hte user automatically.
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 11:58:33 PM »
I have the "Home edition" and was wondering if it was possible to stop the "Virus Found" alert that pops up whenever you start a scan.
<snip>

When you say 'that pops up whenever you start a scan' this isn't usual, but do youmean whilst the memory scan is being done before the Simple User Interface is opened ?
If so this could be ab indication of a process injection trojan or if you have windows defender, by all accounts it loads its unencrypted virus signatures into memory.

This obviously speeds up scanning as it is quicker to access RAM than your HDD signatures, but plays havoc for any other AV scanning memory. Do you happen to have windows defender ?

Tech has covered the other points, but with the quantity of data you have the additional flexibility of the Pro version to schedule scans and also assign what to scan, actions to take if a virus is found would be useful to you.

@ Tech
I'm not sure if the Silent Mode settings in the on-access scanners work for the on-demand scan in the Home version ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 12:51:30 AM »
@ Tech
I'm not sure if the Silent Mode settings in the on-access scanners work for the on-demand scan in the Home version ?
No. You're right. They won't work. Because of this I've tried to give 2 answers:

1. For on-demand:
Yes only in Professional version (see picture here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=13315.msg112285#msg112285).
In Home version you can check the option "Don't show this window again" as soon as the first virus warning appears, and click on "No action" button. This way, nothing will be done and you will be presented the results at the end (and you can perform actions from there).

2. For on-access:
Or you can use Silent Mode

Thanks David. Now I think it's a little more clear.

Fudsey

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 05:51:36 AM »
It is as Tech stated, after the 1st virus is found it pops up. Thanks for the quick replies as well :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 11:39:58 AM »
Thanks for the quick replies as well :)
Be used to avast forum speed!
Welcome  8)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 01:21:43 PM »
It is as Tech stated, after the 1st virus is found it pops up. Thanks for the quick replies as well :)

Yes that is the normal Interactive action of the Home version, so the pro version may well be a better option for you.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security