Author Topic: Your program revealed my location while I was streaming with a pop up  (Read 1700 times)

Offline NotHappyRN

Yes indeed I have the free version. I get it at some point I will maybe have enough money to pay for the premium version. but the fact that you do not check to see if any version of OBS or zoom or any other streaming software is working when you spam someone's location?

You have literally compromised me worse than the things you're supposed to protect me from. People who may have a vested interest in actually doing me harm can easily see avast pop up telling them exactly where I live.

How is this acceptable? aside from the fact that it's just a scheme to terrify me into buying premium, you just put *my life* at risk.

How is it you can't do the bare minimum of checking to see if streaming software is running? And no, forum trolls, it's really not that hard (if doki doki literature club can do it, avast can).

This is inexcusable.

I'm writing so this gets fixed. And to warn other streamers.

Fix this.

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
Re: Your program revealed my location while I was streaming with a pop up
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 12:49:24 AM »
Hi NotHappyRN, welcome to the forum :)

I am not sure how Avast revealed your location ..
But you can add any app you use to Do Not Disturb Mode :

- Avast > Performance > Do Not Disturb Mode > Add App

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Offline strakl

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 10:06:45 AM »
I have no idea what this guy is talking about. I have personally streamed a lot, and avast has never revieled any of my location info, heck, it can't even do that as far as i'm awear.

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 11:01:48 AM »
I suspect he is complaining about the VPN upselling pop-up that reveals your (supposed) location. A screenshot would have been good, but I guess not ideal thing to do when you are in the middle of a zoom call.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 06:14:51 PM »
I suspect he is complaining about the VPN upselling pop-up that reveals your (supposed) location. A screenshot would have been good, but I guess not ideal thing to do when you are in the middle of a zoom call.

+1
Most likely

Offline NotHappyRN

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 08:31:33 PM »
Hi NotHappyRN, welcome to the forum :)

I am not sure how Avast revealed your location ..
But you can add any app you use to Do Not Disturb Mode :

- Avast > Performance > Do Not Disturb Mode > Add App

Greetz, Red.

It is a popup that states something like "your privacy is compromised, and your location (city) can be seen by hackers".

One presumes this is some sort of protection premium offers, to obscure that data. But I know it's a rake of my actual data, because my IP routes through a much bigger city and if it were reading my IP, that other city would have come up instead.

I could not take a screenshot in the moment as I was in the middle of a stream, and immediately panicked, trying to close it.

Thank you for the tip. Still... that's not okay for anyone using streaming software. It should check.

Offline slavo.benko

• Product Manager
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 11:59:50 AM »
Hi, I am sorry for the inconvenience and troubles it caused - you're right, it shouldn't be happening. We will adjust the logic so such offer is not shown during streaming in the future (it will require a product update so please give us a few weeks).