Author Topic: Tutorial For False detection  (Read 17610 times)

mouniernetwork

Tutorial For False detection
« on: November 21, 2006, 02:02:04 AM »
The following is a Tutorial on how to help correct a Virus detection that you believe  to be false.

Verifying that the detecion is indeed false:
1.) Go to www.virustotal.com and scan the file.
2.) If Avast is the only antivirus to detect the chances are that it is either anew virus or a false posstive. Go to step 5
3.) If Avast isn't the only Antivirus to detect it it might be a virus. Go to step 6
4.) Even Avast doesn't detect it but it detects it on your computer. In that case perform a iAVS and program update and it will probably resolve the problem.
Submittting the virus to Avast
5.)Since Avast detects this as a false possitive you should send it to virus(at)avast(dot)com and put as the subject "False Possitive" and add as an attachement a zip file protected by the password "virus" containing the suspicious file. This is your way of thanking Avast for their free Antivirus  :) + its helping you as well.
6.)Since other Antiviruses are detecting this as a virus it is probably a new virus that some Antivirus so you should move the file to the chest.

Hope that this Tutorial helps the New users  ;)

Al968
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 03:31:47 AM by al968 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Tutorial For False detection
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 03:10:03 AM »
Valiant effort, you might want to change this virus(dot)avast(dot)com to virus(at)avast(dot)com.

There is however a Topic on this - Also see (Mini Sticky) False Positives, how to report and what to do to exclude them until the problem is corrected.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mouniernetwork

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 03:33:01 AM »
Thank you for pointing out my mistake  ;)
Yes I am aware of it but since people are still posting I thought that an other reminder would could in handy  :)

Al968

E

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 10:08:56 PM »
I think the Trojan found by cure-IT on my PC is also a false positive as it was the only scanner on Virus Total that detected it. What makes it even more probable is that the Trojan is a file which comes from a connection/diagnostic program which installed after I set up a new ISP,

lol, ISP`s using spyware ? Whatever next....

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 10:15:56 PM »
If you can post this in a new topic in the Viruses and Worms forum as this is just a tutorial on how to check/report a false positive.

Though if it is only found by cure-IT and not avast perhaps it should be reported in the cure-it directly to cure-it or their forum if they have one.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security