Author Topic: Avast services won't start and appear to be missing services  (Read 11665 times)

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
Re: Avast services won't start and appear to be missing services
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2006, 05:09:27 AM »
many people on this forum will not open attatchments. You may have better results if you copy and paste your log. Use a couple of posts if it won't fit in one.

mouniernetwork

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2006, 12:47:05 PM »
I took a look at it and I don't see anything wrong  ???
Sorry  :-[
Al968

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2006, 02:31:01 PM »
very usefull information,
Did you try setting the two service that are on manual to auto ?
Also you could try reinstalling Avast, you just need the product key.

There is absolutely no point in changing the correct manual start to auto start, the asgMaiSv.exe and ashWebSv.exe should only start if the user has enabled those providers, if at any time they were disabled the service would still start. They should be left at manual.

OK here it goes
For an on-line analysis of your log (http://hijackthis.de/logfiles/91ca5b35bf2cfa29b13b1f4b12de3a9c.html) check out the unknown entries (google the file names or upload them for a scan), do you have a firewall as the analysis doesn't detect one. What I also find strange is why this entry is listed:
      O4 - Startup: avast! Antivirus.lnk = C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashAvast.exe
That shouldn't need to run on start-up on an XP system, it certainly isn't on mine. Clicking that file name or desktop shortcut usually kicks off a memory scan and opens the simple user interface to enable you to do an on-demand scan.

I don't know if kicking this off at start-up might have an adverse effect (it would certainly slow things down), so I suggest you fix it and see if that has a positive effect. HJT should save any changes so you can restore it if required, which I can't see a reason for.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 02:32:46 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ldei

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2006, 05:57:19 AM »
I added it to the startup file as a test to find a fix. I have already removed it, but the problem remains. I have notified tech support and so far there is no know solution. The alamode lines in the log are a valid program for professional real estate appraisal services. beremote.exe is not an unknown process. It is a Symantec service for backing up registry files using their advanced backup software formally Veritas. All other lines are normal as well. Yes, I have a firewall. HPTLBXFX is a service for the HP 3390 fax allinone printer.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 06:04:16 AM by ldei »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2006, 06:15:09 AM »
ldei,

I do not wish to discount the fact that you are experiencing a problem. 

However, computers do not change the way they run "out of the blue", they change because of changes made to them, more often than not by those controlling them.

avast has not changed on the 4 up to date Win XP SP2 machines it is running on in this location, it has not changed for the users I support in other locations on Win XP SP2 systems.  All are running - just fine as usual. 

I do not post this with any intent to annoy you, I am sure your frustration is real enough.  If this were a widespread problem among the literally millions of avast users we would be seeing many more "me too" posts in this forum.

This is just a plea to work with the experienced members of this forum (who, by and large, are avast users ... just as you are) and, perhaps, input from the Alwil team - they are frequent participants in this forum.  Oh, and a plea to keep it to one thread rather than expressing your frustration in multiple threads.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 06:19:33 AM by alanrf »

ldei

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2006, 06:19:50 AM »
As per the replies, I have been working with them. But there is no solution as of yet. The computer has not changed in any way except Windows updates. The duty of ALWIL is to make sure the product runs with the current Windows system. I have tried four other XP SP2 boxes with the same results. Notice there is another user with the same identical problem.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2006, 06:27:12 AM »
I hope that you will forgive me in noting again that the alwil team has done an excellent job of making sure that it works on the 4 up to date Win XP systems I have running here and that of every person I am supporting outside of this location (and the millions of other avast users). 

What we need to concentrate on is finding out what is the difference on the machines under your control that do not work.   

ldei

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2006, 06:30:30 AM »
Thats what I want is to figure it out. But the critical nature of my files does not allow me a long time to get this fixed. I am a paying user. I do not have the free version. I need a fix, but there appears to be no answer. Do you have any?

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2006, 06:59:13 AM »
A simple answer to a simple question.  The answer is:  No

I do not have an answer to your problem.  I am not able to reproduce your problem. 

I am not part of the alwil team.  I do my best to reproduce the problems I see in this forum, if I find I can reproduce the problem and find a solution, I post it.  If I can reproduce a problem and cannot find a solution then I am known to be critical of the alwil team. 

There appears to be one other person, as you have noted, that currently experiences the same problem you report on 5 systems.  I stand by my comment that "problems to not occur out of the blue". 

I would encourage you to think very carefully about any change - however small or insignificant - you may have made to all of these systems in the recent past.  (Reminds me of the discussion I had with one of the folks I support this afternoon - "I have not made any changes - well just that little clock program I downloaded a few days ago" - yes you guessed it - the cause of his problem).  Sorry for the (true) story - but you know we all experience this stuff, even with ourselves.   

Only you can decide on the urgency for your environment - I intervened in this thread to remind you that you are dealing mainly with fellow users and ask you to try to limit the frustration you express in dealing with folks just trying to help you.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2006, 08:30:46 PM »
Sorry for jumping in little bit late.

So, to recap,

1. none of the 4 avast services starts after reboot (this includes the "avast! IAVS4 Control Service", right?)

2. when you try to manually start any of the services, it takes a long time, and after that, it displays the "Service did not start in a timely fashion" message.

3. The avast tray icon is visible, but has a red cross on it.

Is that correct?

Also, what happens if you double-click the avast icon on the desktop? (or click "avast! Antivirus" from the Start menu)?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

ldei

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2006, 09:23:44 PM »
When I manually start the services, they start immediately and execute normally. There is  no delay. The red ball then disappears and updates start. The problem is that Avast does not start the service automatically. I believe if the Avast Antivirus would auto start, then the other Avast services would automatically start. Some event viewer errors are:

AswChestInterface - Program error description: CChestListView::OnCreate() !m_strErrorWnd.IsEmpty().  AswChestInterface - Program error description: CChestListView::LoadFiles() chestOpenList() failed: 2147422219. 
Error in aswChestC: chestOpenList Error 1753. 
The avast! Antivirus service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the avast! Antivirus service to connect.
The avast! iAVS4 Control Service service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the avast! iAVS4 Control Service service to connect.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2006, 10:00:59 AM »
What kind of network connection do you have?

Does the same happen even if the network (whatever it is - ethernet, USB etc) is disconnected during the boot?

Thanks
Vlk

ldei

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2006, 07:08:34 AM »
Yes

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2006, 05:51:59 PM »
Am I right if I assume that the ashServ.exe process is visible in the list of running processes during boot - i.e. immediately after you log on (provided you log on just after Windows prompts you to do so)?

That is, ashServ.exe is there, and stays there for a while until it disappears (and the message is logged)?