Author Topic: Scanned and Infected Count  (Read 11066 times)

slybo

Scanned and Infected Count
« on: November 22, 2006, 06:09:37 PM »
I noticed that I have 0 on the scanned and infected count on the following providers instant messaging, internet mail, network shield, outlook/exchange, P2P shield, and Script blocking. I do have numbers or in other words the following providers are counting Standard Shield and Web Shield. My question is why is it that only Standard Shield and Web Shield seem to be working? I know Script Blocking is working because I get the splash window when I open Internet Explorer but the count is always 0 on the scanned and infected count. Is the answer because the providers with 0 just do not have anything to count? I would think that at least Network Shield would have a count anytime I get on the net, is this true or do I not understand how this works. Please explain to me when should there be 0 and it be ok. It bothers me most about Network Shield and Script Blocking since my thinking is they should have something in the Scanned Count anytime I get on the net. I am using the Professional Avast. Thank You slybo

slybo

Re: Scanned and Infected Count
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 06:24:58 PM »
Forgot I wanted to say I have a Harware Netgear Router\Firewall, would this interfear with some providers? I would also like to add I have XP sp2 and use Road Runner Internet Explorer and AOL. I did have windows firewall on but turned it off to see what would happen but get the same results. Thanks slybo

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 06:44:22 PM »
They all start at 0 on restart, Outlook/exchange is only for MS Outlook (not express) so if you don't have that, 0 is valid. So if they you aren't using programs that these providers monitor they won't register activity. Network Shield only records detections and if you have a competent/good firewall (?) then you are unlikely to see much activity on this.

What OS are you using ?
What email program are you using ?
What type of email do you use, standard pop3/smtp, webmail, gmail (SSL/TLS, secure, encrypted), etc. what ?

As I recall you are an AOHell user so your programs may not be being monitored by avast for the reasons previously given in the AOL Protected topic you created http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=24970.0.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

J J

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 06:50:24 PM »
Mine is the same except i've had a count on instant messaging.  i don't use AOL. I use telewest and avast home.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 06:52:45 PM by J J »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 06:56:23 PM »
The same questions apply.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

J J

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 07:05:00 PM »
I'm using windows XP home edition and i use hotmail for email.

tls

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 07:08:07 PM »
Slybo, it might be good to see if Internet Explorer has been unticked, in the "Protected programs" tab of Script Blocking.   When Internet Explorer is ticked, AOL will be monitored as well (the Script Blocking scanned count will go up for both Internet Explorer and AOL).

slybo

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 07:20:30 PM »
Thank you for the quick response. I am using windows xp with sp2. I use AOL email but I do not know if it is standard pop3 or the others, I just use AOL email but have never gotten in to what it uses, I was not to concerned about that provider. I am more concerned about Network Shield, you posted "Network Shield only records detections and if you have a competent/good firewall (?) then you are unlikely to see much activity on this.", I do have that Hardware Netgear Router\Firewall and also using Windows Firewall so you say that could be the reason for not much activity, I just thougt that after being on the net for an hour I would have seen something scanned but from what you say it would be normal to still see a 0 in the scanned and let me add that I am talking about using Internet Explorer as I now know AOL would be different. I can use either AOL or Internet Explorer. Am I uderstanding you correctly that seeing 0 in the scanned of Network Shield after an hour on internet explorer with my router\firewall and windows firewall be normal? The other one that concerns me would be the Script Blocking, how much activity would I see on that? Thanks slybo

slybo

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006, 07:25:29 PM »
You posted --Slybo, it might be good to see if Internet Explorer has been unticked, in the "Protected programs" tab of Script Blocking.   When Internet Explorer is ticked, AOL will be monitored as well (the Script Blocking scanned count will go up for both Internet Explorer and AOL)..

Yes I checked and all items are ticked. I have not seen any count with either AOL or Internet Explorer. Can you give me an idea of how much activity I should see?

tls

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2006, 07:59:37 PM »
When AOL is first started, no mail opened, etc., the count is around 30.   The count increases fairly rapidly as e-mail is opened, and with any surfing.

slybo

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2006, 08:12:52 PM »
I asume the picture you have provided is of the Script Blocking. I only see 0s on mine. What would cause this a setting or my router\firewall perhaps? Can you tell me where to look? slybo

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2006, 08:27:41 PM »
I'm using windows XP home edition and i use hotmail for email.

Hotmail isn't scanned by the email scanner as it doesn't use and email client but a browser to view your email. Even if you use say outlook express which you can configure to download hotmail, it doesn't use pop3 protocol to download them, so again the Internet Mail provider won't scan them.

Yahoo/Hotmail are not pop3 email services (unless you pay for the pop3 service), it is web based (so the Internet Mail provider doesn't directly protect it). Web based email is simply your email being viewed in the same way you browser the internet. The pages (that display your email) are downloaded into your Temporary Internet folder, just like regular web pages and displayed on your browser screen.

The Web Shield and finally Standard Shield will scan your files (as they are downloaded into your Temporary Internet folder) when sensitivity is set to High. You can get round this 'problem' using 3rd party applications to download the Hotmail messages through the pop3 server.

slybo

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2006, 08:42:34 PM »
DavidR how are you making those quotes. When I click on the quote button all I get is the word quote in brackets?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2006, 09:02:25 PM »
I just click the Quote button in the post I want to quote, you then chop out the bits you don't want to quote. Works fine in firefox, maxthon and IE but I don't use AOHell, sorry about banging on about AOHell but it can really imped your free access of the internet.

If that isn't working I don't know why, perhaps you should try a non-AOHell integrated browser, if you aren't already ?

slybo

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2006, 09:21:10 PM »
If that isn't working I don't know why, perhaps you should try a non-AOHell integrated browser, if you aren't already ?

I have said several time I have AOL and RoadRunner. RoadRunner is Internet Explorer from Time Warner Cable. So far in all of this I have talk about I have been using Internet Explorer, the only time I have used AOL was to go and check to see what it was doing on my questions. I say we can forget about the AOL isssue for now as I will only be using Internet Explorer.

Do you have anything to say about why I would have 0 on scanned items in Script Blocking?

What about my previous post
I asume the picture you have provided is of the Script Blocking. I only see 0s on mine. What would cause this a setting or my router\firewall perhaps? Can you tell me where to look? slybo

and
Am I uderstanding you correctly that seeing 0 in the scanned of Network Shield after an hour on internet explorer with my router\firewall and windows firewall be normal?