Author Topic: Scanned and Infected Count  (Read 11063 times)

slybo

Re: Scanned and Infected Count
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2006, 09:39:57 PM »
I just did a search on google and found a forum site where someone was talking about Microsoft Antispyware also having script blocking and it might not be a good idea to have it and Avast script blocking running at the same time or at least it not be needed to have two just a waste. Well Microsoft Antispyware was upgraded and is now called Windows Defender, and I have Windows Defender running so could this be blocking the Avast script blocker?

slybo

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2006, 10:46:45 PM »
I just thought about the fact that when I had Norton Antivirus on this computer and which I still have on my other computer, when I upgraded to Internet Explorer 7 from 6 , I started getting script errors in one part of the log files of Norton. I found out that this was because Norton 2006 was not totally compatable with Internet Explorer 7. Is the latest Avast totally compatable with Internet Explorer 7? or is this a possible cause of some of my issues? slybo

tls

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2006, 10:49:25 PM »
Am I uderstanding you correctly that seeing 0 in the scanned of Network Shield after an hour on internet explorer with my router\firewall and windows firewall be normal? The other one that concerns me would be the Script Blocking, how much activity would I see on that? Thanks slybo

I believe seeing 0 in the scanned of Network Shield is normal, as long as nothing is detected.  I sincerely hope that is normal, as it is what I see.

I see a change in Script Blocking scanned count when I use either Internet Explorer (rarely) or AOL (normally only e-mail.

Web Shield scanned count goes up when I surf (Firefox), and if my firewall does not permit ashwebsv.exe, I have no internet access with either Internet Explorer or Firefox.  I have no knowledge regarding routers or hardware firewalls and only very limited knowledge otherwise, other than the limitations related to using avast with AOL.

I am running Windows Defender, as of yesterday, and it has caused no problems; the Script Blocking screenshot I posted is from today.

Sorry I can't give you good answers.

Terry

P.S.  Just saw your last post--no problems with IE7 here.

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2006, 10:50:54 PM »
Is the latest Avast totally compatable with Internet Explorer 7?
Avast work just fine here with my computer where I have IE7 installed. I have no problem at all.
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

slybo

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2006, 10:57:25 PM »

I believe seeing 0 in the scanned of Network Shield is normal, as long as nothing is detected. I sincerely hope that is normal, as it is what I see

Thank you so much for that, at least I now feel better about the Network Shield being ok, now if I could only find out about Script Blocking. Also thanks for the replys about Internet Explorer 7. slybo

slybo

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2006, 10:59:23 PM »
I think I must have done something wrong on that last post as everything showed up in the quote box, I am in a hurry have to leave for work, will check back tomorrow. slybo

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2006, 11:17:57 PM »
I believe seeing 0 in the scanned of Network Shield is normal, as long as nothing is detected. I sincerely hope that is normal, as it is what I see
If your Windows is updated and you use a firewall, yes, it's normal the couting stay on zero...

If I could only find out about Script Blocking.
It's working perfectly with IE 7 (as it was with IE 6)...  ::)
The best things in life are free.

slybo

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2006, 01:59:03 PM »
Yes Tech mine looks like that but when I click on the blue ball in systray and then on Script Blocking it always shows 0 in the scanned items. Just like t l s said they see a increasing number in the scanned items, mine never increases just stays at 0. Can you tell me why or what to check. To me if the Script Blocking scanned count stays at 0 it might mean it is not working. Tell me something to look at or do. slybo

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2006, 06:29:46 PM »
Tell me something to look at or do.
I did: uninstall / boot / install / boot again...

slybo

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2006, 10:38:20 PM »
Tell me something to look at or do
I did: uninstall / boot / install / boot again...

That fixed the Script Blocking but let me add something. I had downloaded the home version and then purchased the Professional and just inserted the Professional key, the web site says it will download what it needs which it looked like it did. But just to be sure I uninstalled and then downloaded the Professional version and inserted the key. Now it works, could it be that something did not go right by upgrading from home to Professional? Anyway the Script Blocking is now working along with Standard and Web Shield. The Network still shows 0 on scanned count but as you say this is normal. Thanks slybo

tls

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2006, 10:51:47 PM »
Great!  I'm glad that worked.  Tech (nearly) always knows what to do.

I suspect you are right about the upgrade not going quite right.  I have had that happen with another software upgrade or two, so it seems like a reasonable assumption. 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2006, 11:38:06 PM »
Could it be that something did not go right by upgrading from home to Professional?
It shouldn't but... who knows...

Anyway the Script Blocking is now working along with Standard and Web Shield. The Network still shows 0 on scanned count but as you say this is normal. Thanks slybo
Great... come back if you need further help  8)

slybo

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2006, 11:49:48 PM »
Thanks to Tech and t l s for all your help. I think I am going to like avast but it is new to me as I have only had Norton for about 8 years. There is a lot to learn but it looks like it will be worth it, I think I will become a fan of Avast. And I bet I will be back, I like to have things work right on my computer and try to know something about stuff like the antivirus. Anyway thanks for this one. slybo

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2006, 01:20:08 AM »
I think I am going to like avast but it is new to me as I have only had Norton for about 8 years.
Me too. Oh, not that long, two or three years. I've used McAfee and AVG in the past too.

There is a lot to learn but it looks like it will be worth it, I think I will become a fan of Avast.
For sure... avast is a very configurable antivirus  8)

J J

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2006, 01:10:39 PM »
DavidR what about the P2P shield . it is also  always on 0.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 01:12:18 PM by J J »