Author Topic: Bullguard or Avast??  (Read 9981 times)

wjw

Bullguard or Avast??
« on: November 23, 2006, 09:36:24 PM »
I am currently running Bullguard on both of my home pcs with a fully payed up subscription for 2 years.

I have recently been introduced to Avast which is Free!! Should I make the move or stay with Bullguard? OBJECTIVE views only please.

tls

Re: Bullguard or Avast??
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 10:03:27 PM »
One of my friends uses Bullguard.  When he first installed it he loved it and tried to convince me to switch.  Lately he has been having problems with updates and support; I think it was reduced frequency of updates and poor support (difficulty in obtaining a response, and lack of knowledge when a response was obtained).  I personally know of no one else who has tried Bullguard.

I have had no such problems with Avast, on my daughter's computer and on my mother's (avast home) nearly a year, and on mine (avast Pro because I sometimes work at home) since February.  I replaced paid Norton Antivirus and Norton Internet Security on all of them, with 10 months remaining on mine. 

Avast! support is excellent!

Terry

P.S.  If you are using Bullguard Internet Security and switch to Avast, you will also need a firewall; there are some good free firewalls available.

wjw

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 10:05:14 PM »
Thanks Terry, what do you recommend?

Offline BJ_GeOrgE

• Avast Evangelist
  • prevention is better than cure
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 10:18:13 PM »
Thanks Terry, what do you recommend?
well hi..i'm propably not Terry but i can recommend u some gd free firewalls..i use Comodo firewall and it works rly gd with avast..other free firewalls i suggest is zonealarm free..zonealarm is a very ease to use firewall..i have also tried sygate firewall but i'm not very satisfied..u can check this website to see other free firewalls: http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/security/fwfirewall.html if u choose a firewall that i haven't tried(i have tried sygate,zonealarm and comodo which i'm using now) let me know if it's gd.. ;)thnx man..
Antivirus: Avast Free v8.0.1497/Firewall: Windows Firewall/On Demand: Malwarebytes Free Edition/Other tools: CCleaner

tls

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 10:20:39 PM »
Just my opinion, but if you have no problems with Bullguard and have already paid for it, you might want to make a note to switch to avast when your subscription expires.  I don't know whether my friends problems (including some viruses) are related to Bullguard or to his kids' inclination to click on things to see what happens.

I changed because I had serious problems on all three computers following updates, my daughter's and mother's computers a few weeks apart, resulting in a change to avast on my daughter's and AVG on my mother'.  It didn't take long for me to change my mother's to avast also.  I have also used McAfee in the past.

I don't feel I am qualified to recommend a firewall, as I am far from expert; but a search using "firewall" will lead you to the opinions of many experienced users.  Many of them recommend either Zone Alarm or Comodo.

HTH   

Offline BJ_GeOrgE

• Avast Evangelist
  • prevention is better than cure
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 10:30:25 PM »
well..to be honest..in my opinion i wouldn't switch my paid antivirus until it expires..i love avast!!it's rly gd..i think it's better than bullguard..but don't waste ur money..u have paid for 2years..keep bullguard and when it expires,switch to avast(if u still want) and choose a firewall..
Antivirus: Avast Free v8.0.1497/Firewall: Windows Firewall/On Demand: Malwarebytes Free Edition/Other tools: CCleaner

SNOWHITE

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2006, 10:52:22 PM »
Hi, wjw  :)
If you are satisfied with Bullguard and not having any problems with it keep it, if you are not happy with Bullguard then try avast! you would not be disappointed.
BTW welcome to the forum ;D