Author Topic: after avast installation WIN98 SE is hanging during the shutdown  (Read 5395 times)

ccc

after avast installation WIN98 SE is hanging during the shutdown
« on: November 24, 2006, 02:08:01 AM »
hi

I've installed avast 4 FREE Home Edition on WIN98 SE without any problems,
but now the system will not shutdown
and is hanging each time when I try to shutdown.
I can press only the Power-Off button.

to deinstall and install again doesn't help !

knows someone howto solve this problem ?

kind regards
ccc
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 02:47:59 AM by ccc »

joeloucyn

Re: after avast installation WIN98 SE is hanging during the shutdown
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 04:33:02 AM »
Unfortunately the shutdown hanging with Windows 98SE and with avast installed is a common complaint. I have one computer with Windows 98SE that developed the same problem after installing avast 3 years ago . I found that the shutdown hanging was reduced by creating a shutdown shortcut with the following properties;

C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL.EXE user.exe,exitwindows

just create a new shortcut on your desktop (or Quick Launch bar) and copy/paste the above into the command line,name the shortcut "Shutdown Windows"  then use it to shutdown Windows(works most of the time)!

Avast is a very good antivirus; I use it on my other Windows XP computers with no problems. Looks like I will have to upgrade the 98SE!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 04:44:01 AM by Joeloucyn »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 07:47:30 AM »
I've installed avast 4 FREE Home Edition on WIN98 SE without any problems, but now the system will not shutdown.
Do you use any other antivirus in your computer? Did you install any in the past?
Is there any hardware compontent shown as being problematic (not correctly installed, etc.) (check Control Panel > System for hardware devices, if I remember correctly of Windows 98)?
The best things in life are free.

joeloucyn

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 04:06:22 PM »
.... if I remember correctly of Windows 98)?
Tech use the search. This HAS been a problem after installing Avast on Windows 98SE for years but no one has ever fixed the problem!!! NONE of the fixes from Microsoft fix this problem because it starts only after avast is installed. The suggestions over the years by people who are not using Windows 98SE, only cause further aggravation. You can do a clean install and have no problems then install avast then the hanging starts! Sorry for the wordy post but this particularly upsets me after trying all the so-called "fixes" and wasting peoples time but not acknowledging that avast has a problem with Windows 98SE!!!!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 04:55:57 PM »
Yes the win98se hanging on shutdown has been a bug in win98 SE for a considerable time and that has been happening with or without avast as a google search shows, http://www.google.com/search?q=win98+SE+hangs+on+shutdown, this is just one of the hits, http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/shtdwnse.php.

Whilst we have seen people with avast reporting this on the forums, we have also seen others with no shutdown problem.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

joeloucyn

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 05:14:08 PM »
Well DavidR, if you will notice that the shutdown problems were non-existent on these customers' Pc's before installing avast but only occurred after installing avast and disappeared after completely uninstalling avast then what is your comment!!!
The truth is avast causes the shutdown problems to be aggravated on Windows 98SE pc's and there is no fix! Why ignore the problem? Answer Windows 98SE is not fully supported!!
Use the avast search, this has never been fixed.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 05:42:39 PM »
I would respond what is your comment for those that it doesn't effect ?

There are many thing which could trigger it and the installation of avast could well have had an interaction with other programs or settings causing this hang. But because it is so widespread a problem it can't be totally laid at the door of avast. Otherwise it would be effecting every avast user with win98 SE, I guess there are still quite a lot of those.

It has never been fixed because I guess the cause has never been found.

Now I don't know if that is down to Alwil not spending enough time, effort or money searching to find a solution to a problem that effects a number of avast users for w98 SE, an obsolete program,  not even supported by Microsoft.

Quote from: aumha.org
There is a widespread shutdown bug with WINDOWS 98 SECOND EDITION. The problem does not affect a majority, or even significant minority, of Win98 SE computers, but is sufficiently widespread that it remains a “hot topic” three years later.

As with other Windows shutdown problems, this can be caused by many factors including, but not limited to: a damaged exit sound file; a background program that will not close out properly; incorrectly configured or damaged hardware (especially incompatible APM or ACPI power management settings); an outdated BIOS, conflicting programs, or an incompatible, damaged, or conflicting device driver.

The only thing I am sure of is the problem does exist, but being realistic I doubt the true cause will be found and that a fix won't happen unless a cause is found. Until then people with the problem would  have to seek a work around like you mentioned earlier or using the google search above to see if anything else in the form of a patch or other advice to force a shut down.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

joeloucyn

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 06:13:12 PM »
Windows 98SE does not properly handle shutdown of services. It is dependant on the hardware plus other services running. When you install avast, it starts up RPCSS.exe as a service and Windows 98SE does not properly shutdown RPCSS.exe. Avast uses RPCSS to handle the avast Chest (as stated in this forum many times). My Windows 98SE computer shutdown properly for years before installing avast. Even with all the Microsoft patches, it still will not shutdown properly. This is a Windows 98SE problem (it does not seem to occur on other version of Windows even 98 first edition), that is why you can find this problem all over Google. Yahoo ....and Microsoft.
Avast causes no shutdown problems on my Windows XP, Windows 2000 and Windows Vista computers just the Windows 98SE. A friend of mine has Windows 98 first edition and has no shutdown problems with avast.
I have found that the shutdown shortcut that I suggested is the only fix for this problem (even though it does not work 100 percent.....but 99 percent is still more acceptable)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 06:17:31 PM by Joeloucyn »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 07:26:00 PM »
Well DavidR, if you will notice that the shutdown problems were non-existent on these customers' Pc's before installing avast but only occurred after installing avast and disappeared after completely uninstalling avast then what is your comment!!!
The truth is avast causes the shutdown problems to be aggravated on Windows 98SE pc's and there is no fix! Why ignore the problem? Answer Windows 98SE is not fully supported!!
Use the avast search, this has never been fixed.
Igor could answer this... I hope...
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 07:32:22 PM »
Some time ago after some untidy shutdowns indicated in the windows XP event log I installed User Profile Hive Cleanup, uphclean.exe. I have this is a service that starts automatically. I don't know if there is something similar for win98 or if this would work with win98.

joeloucyn

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 07:51:48 PM »
Windows 98SE does not properly handle shutdown of services. It is dependant on the hardware plus other services running. When you install avast, it starts up RPCSS.exe as a service and Windows 98SE does not properly shutdown RPCSS.exe. Avast uses RPCSS to handle the avast Chest (as stated in this forum many times). ...
I have found that the shutdown shortcut that I suggested is the only fix for this problem (even though it does not work 100 percent.....but 99 percent is still more acceptable)
Hi Tech
It has been flogged many times, the best solution is to upgrade if possible....if not possible then try the shortcut or try another AV. A lot of AV's will not even install on Windows 98SE so you go around in circles. I do not believe avast should spend any more time on Win 98SE problems just provide the excellent AV for the modern OS's.
Unfortunately User Profile Hive Cleanup does not work on Win 98SE and it would only start another background service that Win 98SE probably could not handle. Like I said, it is better for avast to concentrate on the modern OS's. Windows 98 was a nice very tweakable OS but it is time to move on as soon Vista, XP and possibly 2000 will be the only OS's to run any of the new programs!
Hopefully avast will bring out a Linux and Mac version.
I suspect that Linux will become more dominant than Windows in the near future........going by Microsoft's price structure.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 07:53:38 PM by Joeloucyn »

neal62

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2006, 07:52:12 PM »
I have one older computer with Windows 98 second editiion. This is all I have ever found out about this problem::
"Common Causes of Shutdown Problems
Shutdown problems in Windows 98 Second Edition can be caused by any of the following issues: • The Fast Shutdown registry key is enabled.
• There is a damaged Exit Windows sound file.
• A program or terminate-and-stay-resident (TSR) program may not close correctly.
• An incompatible, damaged, or conflicting device driver is loaded.
• There is an incompatible Advanced Power Management (APM) or Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) setting.
• There is an incompatible Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) configuration setting.
• The computer contains incorrectly configured or damaged hardware.
• There is a video adapter that is not assigned an IRQ in real mode
"
Of course this was found HERE.
Don't know if this covers anything that you guys don't know?  :)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 08:03:24 PM by neal63 »

joeloucyn

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2006, 07:57:40 PM »
Hi neal63,
Out of your list, I would pick............
• A program or terminate-and-stay-resident (TSR) program may not close correctly.
 :)

neal62

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2006, 07:59:49 PM »
Thanks Joeloucyn. I know it can be a aggravating experience. Appreciate your feedback. Have a nice day.  :)