Author Topic: Another false positive  (Read 10835 times)

philly12

Another false positive
« on: November 24, 2006, 06:48:05 AM »
I would like to report some false positives.  Both are for the products made by iobit.com, and these products are Advanced WindowsCare v.2 personal and Advanced Spyware Remover.  For Advanced Spyware Remover's update program (asrupdate.exe) , Avast! detects "Virus Description: Win32:VB-BIS [Trj]".  For Advanced WindowsCare v.2.2.0 personal, Avast! detected a virus in the update file, but that went away after I updated to version 2.2.1.  I would like an update to come out and remove the false positive for the asrupdate.exe file. 

P.s.- I do not want to hear a response saying to just set up avast! to put the file in exemptions.  I know how to do that, but I would like to see the false positive fixed.  I cannot send the file to Avast! easily either, because i do not use outlook.  I just use yahoo's email.

I like iobit's free software and want to continue using it without problems created by Avast!.  Thank You.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
Re: Another false positive
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 07:07:10 AM »
but I would like to see the false positive fixed. I cannot send the file to Avast! easily either, because i do not use outlook. I just use yahoo's email.

Only by submitting the file will get it straightened out. Send the file directly from the chest. Open the chest, right click on the file you want to send, a pop up menu will appear, select email to alwil software.

philly12

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 08:51:13 AM »
I cant send the file cause it says it needs sent through SMTP, and I dont know how to set it up.  I only use yahoo mail, not outlook or any other types of offline email.  So I cant send it to Avast! without setting it up.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 11:35:09 AM »
I cant send the file cause it says it needs sent through SMTP, and I dont know how to set it up.
Won't it be?

Server address: smtp.mail.yahoo.com
Port: 25
From address: youremail@yahoo.com

You can set this into the SMTP tab of settings. Right click the 'a' blue icon and choose Program settings.
The best things in life are free.

philly12

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 08:20:41 PM »
ok, thanks for telling me how to set that up

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 09:10:04 PM »
ok, thanks for telling me how to set that up
But, does it work? I'm not sure about that, it was just a tentative, a guess...

philly12

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 09:12:02 PM »
um, i hate to say it, but it didnt work, any other ideas?,,,,,like could i just upload the file and send it in an attachment using yahoo mail to some address that avast! has for false positives?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 09:14:18 PM »
um, i hate to say it, but it didnt work, any other ideas?,,,,,like could i just upload the file and send it in an attachment using yahoo mail to some address that avast! has for false positives?

1. Just send to virus (at) avast.com and tell the story... you can use webmail.
or
2. You can use Alwil FTP server as a second way to transfer only big files. Upload them to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming (please, note that you won't have READ access to the ftp server, just write - so you won't even be able to see what you've just uploaded).

But I'd like to know that if you configure Outlook Express with that options that I've told you, would you be able to send a mail or not?

Offline calcu007

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • I'm lamma!
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 10:05:32 PM »
I cant send the file cause it says it needs sent through SMTP, and I dont know how to set it up.
Won't it be?

You can set this into the SMTP tab of settings. Right click the 'a' blue icon and choose Program settings.

It will not work
Asus Intel i7 8GB RAM , Win 8.1 64 bit, Avast IS

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 10:59:14 PM »
It will not work
Why? Which configuration is wrong? The port number?

philly12

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 04:32:34 AM »
ok i sent the file using yahoo to virus@avast.com  .  Thanks for giving me the address.  I will do this for future false positives and not bother posting on the forum about them.  Thanks

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 06:16:37 AM »
Won't it be?

I think it shouuld be

smpt.your isp

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 12:23:42 PM »
I think it shouuld be
smpt.your isp
You're right... my fault.
The user must allow smtp authentication to send the yahoo mail, using then the configuration I've posted.

philly12

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2006, 03:24:55 AM »
What do you mean by "your isp".  Why would the isp matter unless you think that the mail i'm using is my isp's which it is not?  Could you write out in laymen terms, line by line, how to set it up cause i still cant get it to work. 
And it would help if you used a fake email name in an example.  Pretend my email is Bob@yahoo.com and my password is lock101 and I only use yahoo email, how would this person set up the SMTP?

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2006, 03:48:04 AM »
I only use yahoo mail, not outlook or any other types of offline email.

With all due respect to Tech and the others giving you outgoing server SMTP settings, unless you have Yahoo Mail Plus ($19.95 per year) you have no POP access, and the information is of no use to you.

With Mail Plus you can set up a POP account in Thunderbird, Outlook, or Outlook Express, etc. It's quite easy to do, and all of the settings, including the SMTP info, are contained in the instructions from Yahoo.

If you're interested, see the link on your Yahoo Mail page for "Mail Upgrades" for more information...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 04:47:17 AM by OrangeCrate »