Author Topic: Unable to Scan?  (Read 5369 times)

sp00ky

Unable to Scan?
« on: January 30, 2004, 01:22:11 AM »
First of all I would like to Thank each and every one of you who is involved with making Avast!. I recently left Symantec due to problems they are having that caused my computer great harm. Avast! comes highly recommended by many posters on the DSL Reports Security Forum. For this reason I am now using Avast! Home and I will be purchasing the Avast! Pro soon.

I was informed about 20 minutes ago that Avast! had a new update and I followed the instructions and my Avast! Home was updated.

I've been using Avast! Home for about 2 weeks now and I have a couple questions. When I run a scan I am receiving this information when the scan is finished...

C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.0\lib\charsets.jar\META-INF\MANIFEST.MF [E] ZIP archive is corrupted. (42125)

C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.0\lib\ext\localedata.jar\META-INF\MANIFEST.MF [E] ZIP archive is corrupted. (42125)

C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.0\lib\jaws.jar\META-INF\MANIFEST.MF [E] ZIP archive is corrupted. (42125)

C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.0\lib\rt.jar\META-INF\MANIFEST.MF [E] ZIP archive is corrupted. (42125)

C:\Program Files\Java Web Start\javaws.jar\META-INF\MANIFEST.MF [E] ZIP archive is corrupted. (42125)

Infected files: 0
Total files: 171939
Total folders: 6725
Total size: 64.2 G
* Task stopped: Thursday, January 29, 2004 12:03:36 AM
* Run-time was 51 minute(s), 5 second(s)

Is this anything I need to be concerned about? Also should I delete these things? In all the years I've been online I've never had a virus because I practice safe computing and my computer always has security.

My other question is that when I shutdown my computer I get a box saying UI Avast! Control Window is running. I have repaired Avast! in Add/Remove programs and it fixes the problem for a short period of time but then it comes back again and it's only when I shut down or reboot my computer.

My computer spec's are...
Dell Dimension 8200
Microsoft Windows XP Home
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 1

Pentium 4 CPU 2.00 GHz
1.00 GB pc800 RDRam(Rambus)

HD 1- WCDWD400BB-75DEAO Local Disk  40MB
HD 2- Maxtor 80MB/Internal Addition

Display:
22"Dell M992 on
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420

Lite-On 48x Max   DVD/CD- Rom
Lite-On LTR  CD-RW Rom48x Max
Legacy Video Capture Devices

Logitech Internet Navigator Keyboard
Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer

Again, I wish to express my appreciation to all the Avast! people for doing a wonderful job! Good things happen to good people!

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re:Unable to Scan?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2004, 01:53:29 AM »
Hi,

Sorry I can't help with the "control window" thing, but I'm sure someone else will be along very shortly to help with that one.

As for the Java zip's, I'd say you can almost certainly not worry about them.  There's been quite a few threads on that topic, as you may have seen, and to this day I'm not sure anyone's come up with an explanation.  (At least that's the way it seems.)   But "corrupted" zips in Java folders during a scan seem to be almost universal among us -- if your Java seems to work fine, don't lose any sleep over them.

Oh, and I think I remember they'll scan just fine if you do them individually with the Explorer shell.  Right-click on each file in turn and select Scan.

Best,
Mike
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

sp00ky

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2004, 02:57:45 AM »
Hi,

Sorry I can't help with the "control window" thing, but I'm sure someone else will be along very shortly to help with that one.

As for the Java zip's, I'd say you can almost certainly not worry about them.  There's been quite a few threads on that topic, as you may have seen, and to this day I'm not sure anyone's come up with an explanation.  (At least that's the way it seems.)   But "corrupted" zips in Java folders during a scan seem to be almost universal among us -- if your Java seems to work fine, don't lose any sleep over them.

Oh, and I think I remember they'll scan just fine if you do them individually with the Explorer shell.  Right-click on each file in turn and select Scan.

Best,
Mike

I knew it was late GMT time when I posted but thanks for replying.

I did search the forum and only found 1 post about the ZIP archive is corrupted. (42125) and that was on January 7th but it had no final answer. I have alot of browser Java disabled so I'm wondering if thats why it's saying it's corrupt.

I was able to scan those files individually and they were clean but again, thanks for confirming that for me.

Now that I have Symantec removed from my computer I haven't lost any more sleep. I also feel much better that I am using Avast!. From what I've read these Avast! people are very nice and that puts my mind at ease.

Thanks for your time and I'll check back tomorrow.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2004, 12:50:30 PM »
I did search the forum and only found 1 post about the ZIP archive is corrupted. (42125) and that was on January 7th but it had no final answer.

Look at this forum message: http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=2142;start=msg14826#msg14826
Thanks.

sp00ky

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2004, 05:09:43 PM »
I did search the forum and only found 1 post about the ZIP archive is corrupted. (42125) and that was on January 7th but it had no final answer.

Look at this forum message: http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=2142;start=msg14826#msg14826
Thanks.

Thank-You!