Author Topic: Unable to Log Into Web Sites  (Read 3883 times)

sparky77

Unable to Log Into Web Sites
« on: November 27, 2006, 10:50:18 PM »
Recently I have been unable to log into some web sites that require a login and password.  Sites such as hotmail.com, gap.com, etc.

Is this a known issue that is a virus or malware?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Unable to Log Into Web Sites
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 10:55:24 PM »
Generally not...
Maybe your cookie settings, or browser security settings are avoiding this login.
Which is your operational system, firewall, browser?
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 10:57:35 PM »
What is your firewall ?
I suspect Zone Alarm Pro ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sparky77

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 10:59:36 PM »
My firewall is Zone Alarm pro.

Everytime I try to login, it automatically kicks me back to the login screen.

Is there a setting I need to adjust in Zone Alarm?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 11:01:55 PM »
You probably answered the Compatibility question, NO, which leaves the transparent proxy enabled, this allied to the ZA Pro Privacy function stops access to sites that require log on.

http://www.avast.com/eng/webshield_issues.html

- ZONE ALARM - AVAST Web Shield compatibility dialogue - Install/Update Question - YES or NO

If you are using ZoneAlarm Free you should click NO, because privacy features are not present in ZoneAlarm Free this will not turn off web shield transparent mode proxy.
Use a text editor and edit the avast4.ini file, the default installation location is C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\avast4.ini (I would advise you copy avast4.ini before editing it, just in case).
If you answered incorrectly, Locate the line containing ZoneAlarmCompatibility= and delete that line (avast will ask again, answer NO) or change the value to =0.  Save the edited avast4.ini file.

If you are using ZoneAlarm Pro and Privacy Control in ZoneAlarm is set to High and if you click YES in avast compatibility dialogue box the transparent mode proxy in web shield will be turned off you have to manually configure browser to access internet. To manually configure your browser watch instructional video

For IE - broadband users: - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE
For IE - dialup users - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE (Dial-up)
For Firefox users - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for Firefox
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security