Author Topic: Documentation and P2P  (Read 3092 times)

loades

Documentation and P2P
« on: November 28, 2006, 01:01:34 PM »
Two questions here.

Is there documentation?  I can find downloadable documentation for an earlier version but not for the current version.  Surely, it's somewhere?

I have the P2P module running and downloaded a file using uTorrent but avast! says 0 files were scanned.  Does P2P scanning require additional setup?  This is why I was searching for documentation!  A search on the avast! support website using P2P as the search term returns zero!

If these questions are daft, apologies.  I've only downloaded and installed avast! in the last couple of days and I'm new to it.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Documentation and P2P
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 01:29:10 PM »
For documentation you could start with the avast help file.

You don't mention what your OS is ?
This will have an effect on if avast can monitor/support uTorrent as it states in the Provider details, Customize, list of supported P2P applications, the * asterisk signifies only supported with winNT, win2k or winXP.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

loades

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 01:38:07 PM »
>For documentation you could start with the avast help file.

But I can't find that either!  There seems to be no Help link on any screen I visit in avast!

>You don't mention what your OS is ?

Win XP.  uTorrent is ticked to indicate NT, 2K, XP only so I should be OK.

Malcolm

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 01:53:36 PM »
But I can't find that either!  There seems to be no Help link on any screen I visit in avast!
Right click the skin or click F1.
Or open the file <avast>\ENGLISH\HELP\help.chm

I'm not sure, but I think uTorrent files will be scanned only when the download is finished.
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 02:05:51 PM »
Start, All Programs, avast! Antivirus, Help.

Right click the avast icon, select 'Start avast antivirus,' once open you can press the F1 key a common shortcut for help, or select the menu, help or right click on the skin and select help.

I also created a desktop shortcut for it, you can find the file here, C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ENGLISH\HELP\help.chm

Personally I think the help should be available from the avast icon right click context menu, but I'm just an avast user like you.

Well it should certainly be able to scan it and it shouldn't require any additional set-up. So why it isn't I'm not sure I have never used any P2P application much less uTorrent, but there are many forum members who do.

There were previously problems with uTorrent using some email ports to communicate but not using email protocols causing the email scanner to try and scan them, so much so that avast had to exclude uTorrent from being scanned by the email scanner.

Now if your connection is using email ports then that may be why there is no recorded traffic and possibly not being scanned. I suggest a forums search for utorrent that may return information about this previous problem about using the email ports and what can be done to avoid this.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

loades

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 02:28:52 PM »
OK. Got the Help now, thanks.

I haven't installed any email scanning modules (I use a mail client which does not display http and will not open files automatically), uTorrent is configured for a fixed port nowhere near to anything mail protocols use.

In response to an earlier suggestion the download had finished.

If I open 'On access protection control' highlight P2P I see 'scan count 0', 'infected count 0'.

Clicking 'Customize' shows all P2P progs ticked, including uTorrent.  Oddly, if I click 'Less detail' the box to the right of Scanner Sensitivity, displays:-

P2P Shield:
- Kazaa & KazaaLite
- Direct Connect
- Direct Connect++

that's all, yet every P2P program is ticked.

Which is correct, full detail showing all P2P progs selected, or less detail saying only 4 are selected?

This seems to confirm that though I'm using Win XP P2P files via uTorrent are not being scanned.

Ideas?

Thanks, Malcolm

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 03:40:49 PM »
Less detail will as it states show less detail, as in it is only showing the first four in the full list and personally I don't find this function of any help.

There wasn't any question about new modules but utorrent's habit/ability of using non standard communication or downloading using the email ports, there by bypassing the P2P Shield. That may as I have said mean your torrents aren't being scanned and why the count = 0.