Author Topic: avast! Home 4.7 and Ad-aware conflict  (Read 5495 times)

badak

avast! Home 4.7 and Ad-aware conflict
« on: November 29, 2006, 03:34:04 PM »
After my virus database updated last night (Nov.28,06), I ran Ad-aware (full system scan) and encountered a false positive with the temp files Ad-aware creates when running (BlackBox.class, Dummy.class, VerifierBug.class, Beyond.class).

I've been using avast home for about 6 months now and haven't encountered any conflicts while running Ad-aware before.

I've tried excluding the Ad-aware temp files and folder (C:\Documents and Settings\xxx\Local Settings\Temp\AAWTMP\*.class) from avast, but my exclusion did not work; avast still scanned the subfolders where these temp files are created.

I have been able to duplicate this problem on three different computers so far.

Any help in resolving this conflict would be appreciated.

System Specs.;
Pentium 4 3.4Ghz, 2MB RAM
Windows XP Pro SP2 (all updates installed)
avast! Home 4.7-892
VPS file: 0651-2

« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 03:50:35 PM by badak »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: avast! Home 4.7 and Ad-aware conflict
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 03:54:23 PM »
The temp folder where you say the infection was detected it where adaware unpacks stuff and when the scan is complete adaware empties it, so you won't find anything there.

I advise pausing Standard Shield whilst carrying out any other security scan. Not only will this stop this type of possible detection of virus signatures from the other program, it will also stop duplication of scanning as avast looks over the shoulder of the other program. This will also reduce the time taken for the scan.

As far as exclusions go you probably haven't added it to the Standard Shield, Customize, Advanced, Add, exclusions list.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 03:56:40 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

badak

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 04:35:24 PM »
Originally posted by DavidR

The temp folder where you say the infection was detected it where adaware unpacks stuff and when the scan is complete adaware empties it, so you won't find anything there.

I advise pausing Standard Shield whilst carrying out any other security scan. Not only will this stop this type of possible detection of virus signatures from the other program, it will also stop duplication of scanning as avast looks over the shoulder of the other program. This will also reduce the time taken for the scan.

As far as exclusions go you probably haven't added it to the Standard Shield, Customize, Advanced, Add, exclusions list.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes the temp folders and files I mentioned are created by Ad-aware during execution and are deleted upon completion, so these files and folders can only be found when Ad-aware is running.

I did include the exclusion in the Standard Shield, Customize, Advanced, Add, exclusion list, but no format or syntax I used seemd to work. Here are some that I tried with no success;
C:\Documents and Settings\xxx\Local Settings\Temp\AAWTMP\*
C:\Documents and Settings\xxx\Local Settings\Temp\AAWTMP\*.class
C:\Documents and Settings\xxx\Local Settings\Temp\*.class
C:\Documents and Settings\xxx\Local Settings\Temp\AAWTMP\*\*.*

Obviously the Standard Shield could be paused while running other security programs, but I would prefer to just exclude these Ad-aware files for simplicity reasons since this wasn't a problem prior to the last virus database update.

What am I missing with the exclusion syntax?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 04:52:57 PM by badak »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 05:01:28 PM »
It may be just the length and spaces in the folder path, etc.
You could try, C:\*\Temp\AAWTMP\* or C:\*\Temp\AAWTMP\*.*, but personally I wouldn't even bother and just pause Standard Shield.

Another reason for pausing Standard Shield is to avoid any possible conflict if the two scanners scan a file that is infected and both recognise, they could then fight for control over who blocks.locks it etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

badak

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 05:17:25 PM »
Originally posted by DavidR

It may be just the length and spaces in the folder path, etc.
You could try, C:\*\Temp\AAWTMP\* or C:\*\Temp\AAWTMP\*.*, but personally I wouldn't even bother and just pause Standard Shield.

Another reason for pausing Standard Shield is to avoid any possible conflict if the two scanners scan a file that is infected and both recognise, they could then fight for control over who blocks.locks it etc.

Duh!!!   Smacks self on forehead...

Yes, it was the spaces in the folder path. I changed it to your recommendation C:\*\Temp\AAWTMP\* and it worked perfectly.

Thanks a bunch!...I had a brain-lapse. That should have occurred to me.

Its hard to remember DOS conventions when working in a windows environment so much.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 05:24:05 PM »
No Problem, welcome to the forums.