Author Topic: Scan result pop-up dialog does not get displayed.  (Read 2417 times)

Offline Hoakland

Scan result pop-up dialog does not get displayed.
« on: February 28, 2021, 11:45:08 PM »
Hi all,

When I start a scan by right clicking on a file from Windows desktop, the scan result pop-up dialog does not get displayed. But I can see the scan in "Scan History".

I also noticed that if the main Avast UI is active, or in general, if any window is active it shows the result pop-up. But If no window is opened on my desktop and If I start a scan from right-click menu, no pop-up appears.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app but it didn't solve this interesting issue.

Do you have any suggestions about that?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Scan result pop-up dialog does not get displayed.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 11:53:37 PM »
It is a Toaster popup and it should be in the bottom of the screen.

I have just tested it and there is no issue for me.

Do you happen to have Do Not Disturb mode set ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Hoakland

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 07:15:12 AM »
Yes it appears in the bottom of the screen only if a window is open. If all windows are minimized (or if no window is open) scan works but popup does not show.

Do not disturb mod is not set.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 01:16:09 PM »
You could try an Avast Repair.
AvastUI > Menu > Settings > General > Troubleshooting > APP Repair, I would suggest restarting your system after that.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Hoakland

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 02:31:06 PM »
I have tried Avast repair but still no luck.
Something is suppressing the popup but I have no idea about the source of this issue. Very strange.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2021, 03:18:28 PM »
A mystery to me also.

Do you have any other security based software installed ?

Offline Hoakland

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2021, 04:21:01 PM »
No, only Avast Premium is installed on my system.
Besides it I also have Avast AntiTrack Premium and Avast Cleanup Premium.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2021, 08:55:30 PM »
No, only Avast Premium is installed on my system.
Besides it I also have Avast AntiTrack Premium and Avast Cleanup Premium.

Certainly strange, I can't recall seeing this in the forums before.

I can't see why it would work if you already have an AvastUI window open, to my thinking that would mean the scan isn't connecting correctly with the UI interface.
Are there any other UI anomalies that you have noticed ?

I will try and draw some attention to this topic.

Just one point, what is the purpose of running a right click scan ?
This is much depreciated with a resident on-access antivirus as new, modified or running an executable would initiate a file shield scan.

Offline Hoakland

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2021, 09:17:22 PM »
Avast UI is working fine except this odd behavior.

Maybe the problem could be related to my OS. But I certainly have no time an intention to reinstall my OS and apps and configurations and so on...

I use this right-click scan feature before running executable files which I downloaded. I feel much better and safe that way :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2021, 09:25:37 PM »
Avast UI is working fine except this odd behavior.

Maybe the problem could be related to my OS. But I certainly have no time an intention to reinstall my OS and apps and configurations and so on...

I use this right-click scan feature before running executable files which I downloaded. I feel much better and safe that way :)

I personally wouldn't like to reinstall my OS either.

But as I said, when you downloaded the program/executable it should have been scanned and before you run an executable Avast will scan it. 

Personally I believe this resident on-access scan offers more protection (than the aswQuick.exe, context menu scan) as it would be using the file system shield, behaviour shield, cyber capture and hardened mode depending on your settings.

Offline Michal137

• Avast team
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2021, 09:58:18 AM »
Hello Hoakland,
I'm sorry you are having this issue.
Would you mind sharing some details that would help us with the investigation?
For starters, we would like to know your OS version, AV version and UI versions (found in Menu -> Settings -> About section).
Also, sharing logs, especially AvastUI.log could help us - it's located in C:\ProgramData\Avast Software\Avast\log\AvastUI.log.
Thanks a lot!

Offline Hoakland

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2021, 06:08:11 PM »
Hello Hoakland,
I'm sorry you are having this issue.
Would you mind sharing some details that would help us with the investigation?
For starters, we would like to know your OS version, AV version and UI versions (found in Menu -> Settings -> About section).
Also, sharing logs, especially AvastUI.log could help us - it's located in C:\ProgramData\Avast Software\Avast\log\AvastUI.log.
Thanks a lot!

OS Version: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19042.804]
Program version: 21.1.2449 (build 21.1.5968.639)
UI version: 1.0.597

I've sent you the link of the log file as a personal message.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 06:20:46 PM by Hoakland »