Author Topic: home page worm  (Read 6097 times)

dkingers

home page worm
« on: January 30, 2004, 03:38:05 AM »
I've got a worm that consistently changes my default homepage to hugesearech.net.    Ada-ware only finds some infected files or parts of the registry.  Avast found it all 1 time, but has since not found anything.  I have un-installed, then re-installed hoping to find this incredibly annoying worm.  however, nothing is getting it.  

Any help??!

sp00ky

Re:home page worm
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2004, 04:04:29 AM »
From things I've read it's sounds like your homepage has been hijacked.

I've posted a link to help you out until the experts come on.

I think my computer is hijacked. What should I do?

techie101

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2004, 04:07:16 AM »
I've got a worm that consistently changes my default homepage to hugesearech.net.  
What is the name of the worm?  I can't recommend a cleaner unless I know what worm is infecting your system.

Ada-ware only finds some infected files or parts of the registry.
Again, I need to know the names of the spyware.  Adaware will clean the infecting spyware from your system. Have you done so?

Avast found it all 1 time, but has since not found anything.
Please, you need to tell me what "it" is????

I have un-installed, then re-installed hoping to find this incredibly annoying worm.  however, nothing is getting it.
Uninstalled and reinstalled what?  And what are you looking to get?

You need to be much more specific in order for me to help you.
What antivirus are you using?  Avast?  What version and build?
Do you have any other antivirus software on you system now?
What OS are you using?

Thanks,
techie101

dkingers

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2004, 05:48:19 AM »
I don't know what worm it is.  If I knew that......

I'm using the latest version of Avast home.  updated today.  

I can reset my IE to the default when I installed it, but as soon as I restart my machine, the homepage is back to hugesearch.   also, whenever I type in an addy in the address bar, unless I type inthe http://, it takes me to hugesearch...

I have no idea what spyware it is.  I've run ad-aware 6.  It finds new infected files everytime, but has not been able to remove the worm(?).  

win ME

dkingers

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2004, 06:36:27 AM »
THANKS spOOky!  the cwshredder did the trick!!!

John-

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2004, 03:38:51 PM »
there is another freeware program available "spywareblaster",...here you can "secure" your homepage by setting it "unchangeable",...this program is 100% compatible with Avast and is only 770 kb in download  ;)

Firstc520

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2004, 04:58:36 PM »
dkingers

OK, i don't normally see a browser Hijack on here but  please do the following it will  help (me at least) to understand Y your pc is doing the things it is doing:

go to http://www.merijn.org/files/hijackthis.zip , and download 'Hijack This!'.
Unzip it and make sure it is unzipped & placed into it's own folder, not a temporary folder. Then doubleclick the Hijackthis.exe.
Click the "Scan" button, when the scan is finished the scan button will become "Save Log" click that and save the log.
Go to where you saved the log and click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" then Paste the log back here in a reply.
It will possibly show issues deserving our attention, but most of what it lists will be harmless or even required,
so do NOT fix anything yet.
Someone here will be happy to help you analyze the results.

Also make sure your Adawre is updated, the newwest build is 181.  configure Adaware int ht efollowing way:

Download AdAware 6 181 from here: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
Before you scan with AdAware, check for updates of the reference file by using the "webupdate".

Then ........
Make sure the following settings are made and on -------"ON=GREEN"
From main window :Click "Start" then " Activate in-depth scan"

Then......
Click "Use custom scanning options>Customize" and have these options on: "Scan within archives" ,"Scan active processes","Scan registry", "Deep scan registry" ,"Scan my IE Favorites for banned URL" and "Scan my host-files"

Then.....
Go to settings(the gear on top of AdAware)>Tweak>Scanning engine and tick "Unload recognized processes during scanning" ...........then........"Cleaning engine" and tick "Automatically try to unregister objects prior to deletion" and "Let windows remove files in use at next reboot"

Then...... click "proceed" to save your settings.

Thanks

First_c   :D

sp00ky

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2004, 05:04:39 PM »
THANKS spOOky!  the cwshredder did the trick!!!

Your welcome and I'm happy that it fixed your problem. I read DSL Reports Security forum several times a day and the things I've learned are priceless!

We are very lucky to have such a wealth of information and people who are willing to help us. Good luck to you!

*Edit- I also suggest that you get SpyBot Search & Destroy. I use both Ad-aware and SpyBot Search & Destroy and they both helpful in finding different things.

SpyBot Search & Destroy
« Last Edit: January 30, 2004, 05:07:50 PM by sp00ky »