Author Topic: How long do you feel avast!4.x Home delay your surf?  (Read 5538 times)

cnshzj007

How long do you feel avast!4.x Home delay your surf?
« on: November 25, 2006, 02:12:41 PM »
Do you find the delay by avast!4.x Home when you are surf on line?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: How long do you feel avast!4.x Home delay your surf?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 02:26:00 PM »
I find no delay as a dial-up user, the usual slow downloads leave more than enough time for avast to scan it.

If you are experiencing any delay/slow down then you should give more details.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 07:36:47 PM »
I'm like David, can't see any noticeable slow-down on dial up -- connection speed is by far the major bottle-neck, relative to anything running on my computer.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 12:02:06 AM »
I find no delay as a dial-up user, the usual slow downloads leave more than enough time for avast to scan it.

I don't see any delay that I could attribute to avast at my end of the spectrum either:

Download Speed = 9.66Mbps or 1.20MBytes/sec
Upload Speed = 965.39Kbps or 120.67KBytes/sec

Do you find the delay by avast!4.x Home when you are surf on line?

I could be proven wrong, but I don't think that avast would create a delay while you're surfing.

As David said, it could be something else. Please provide details if you can...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 02:38:31 AM by OrangeCrate »

cnshzj007

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 05:04:20 AM »
1.I am using the ADSL 2MB/s.
2.When I am using the IE to surf, the delay is obvious, something like that only a little part of the web can I see in the IE window at the first time of click a URL(www.pconline.com.cn) and wait 50 seconds or more until the whole page is available.
3.When using the FireFox, the delay vanishes.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 05:09:09 AM by cnshzj007 »

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 10:35:44 AM »
2.When I am using the IE to surf, the delay is obvious, something like that only a little part of the web can I see in the IE window at the first time of click a URL(www.pconline.com.cn) and wait 50 seconds or more until the whole page is available.

I'm using Firefox 2.0, and the first two times I tried to access your example web page, their server timed out. On the third try, there was a long wait before I was able to access the page, and it continued to load for a long while.

So first, I don't think that the browser has much to do with page loading. Generally, it's on the server side, and there are several to many reasons for slow page loading.

Here's just one example of the types of things that web site developers would look at in diagnosing slow pages:

http://textpattern.com/faq/136/diagnosing-performance-problems

Unless there is an obvious hardware issue such as the server simply being overloaded due to the number of requests, virtually all of the slow load problems are design related.

Again, I could probably be proven wrong, but I don't believe that the problem of slow loading pages are either browser related, or, referencing your original question, avast related. They are just poorly designed sites, and unfortunately, there are a lot of them out there.

Edit:

I suppose it's possible that IE7's phishing filter might slow down access to web pages, but I don't use IE, and I couldn't comment further. If true, turning off the filter would be a trade off between safe surfing and faster page loads. It would be your decision as to way you would want to go.

Here's a forum thread that discusses the issue:

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general/browse_thread/thread/bf84be3fb2a9232/a454b8dda6847dac%23a454b8dda6847dac

However, as it relates to the specific site you pointed out, my guess is that it's a design problem.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 12:55:04 PM by OrangeCrate »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 12:39:45 PM »
When I am using the IE to surf, the delay is obvious
Which firewall do you have? I do not remember well...  ::)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 02:18:44 PM »
Using DrWeb link checker, that page has no less than 15 scripts on that page, so that in itself could slow things a little. If you have the NoScript extension running in firefox that would block the scripts and possibly speed loading.

It is also a large page for an opening page, which is also heavy graphics and anyone on dial-up like me would be there waiting for a very long time for it to load (though with broadband that shouldn't be a problem), not to mention I don't have the Simplified Chinese Character set installed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

raylinstephens

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 02:45:28 PM »
I find absolutely no delay and Avast! allows me to surf where I want to.

I was forever fighting with PC-cillin.  Norton's was good but hard to disable to install new software.

Having no problems using Avast!4Home.

raylin

If you are having delays, could you also have an infection?

cnshzj007

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 03:04:54 PM »

I'm using Firefox 2.0, and the first two times I tried to access your example web page, their server timed out. On the third try, there was a long wait before I was able to access the page, and it continued to load for a long while.

So first, I don't think that the browser has much to do with page loading. Generally, it's on the server side, and there are several to many reasons for slow page loading.

Here's just one example of the types of things that web site developers would look at in diagnosing slow pages:

http://textpattern.com/faq/136/diagnosing-performance-problems

Unless there is an obvious hardware issue such as the server simply being overloaded due to the number of requests, virtually all of the slow load problems are design related.

Again, I could probably be proven wrong, but I don't believe that the problem of slow loading pages are either browser related, or, referencing your original question, avast related. They are just poorly designed sites, and unfortunately, there are a lot of them out there.

Edit:

I suppose it's possible that IE7's phishing filter might slow down access to web pages, but I don't use IE, and I couldn't comment further. If true, turning off the filter would be a trade off between safe surfing and faster page loads. It would be your decision as to way you would want to go.

Here's a forum thread that discusses the issue:

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general/browse_thread/thread/bf84be3fb2a9232/a454b8dda6847dac%23a454b8dda6847dac

However, as it relates to the specific site you pointed out, my guess is that it's a design problem.

Heavily I give your thanks,First.

I do know there are many facts leading to the delay defined by our changing feelings something like our mood or even the bad weather.

But also I do want to the reasons of the delay as a function of time second.Is there any standard method to evaluate the time delayed by the specific reason mentioned above?

Then we'll achieve the goal of bingo the fact that the avast!4.x Home delay the web showing.

The feeling delay time is the very important thing to the code builders, is that sure? ;D

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2006, 03:33:21 PM »
Is there any standard method to evaluate the time delayed by the specific reason mentioned above?...

...The feeling delay time is the very important thing to the code builders, is that sure?

To answer your first question, I'm sure there is, and that there are guidelines expected for good code, graphics, etc. However, I'm not a web designer, so I don't have a specific answer for you. Maybe someone else on this forum will comment...

To your second question. Fast loading pages are what everyone wants. Developers and code writers would pay a lot of attention to this. They would be afraid that if the site was slow loading, that people would move on, rather than wait. I would, and do, and I'm sure that many others feel the same way.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 03:45:37 PM by OrangeCrate »