Author Topic: Main Avast screen freeze!  (Read 18392 times)

Tipton

Main Avast screen freeze!
« on: January 30, 2004, 06:24:30 AM »
Ok, the first time this happened, I decided not to post it here in the forum, thinking it was a fluke. However, it happened again so I must ask about it. I have had the Avast main screen freeze twice. Its the main screen where you set the drives or folders to be scanned. Where you make adjustments such as thorough scan or standard, or scan within archives. Its the main screen that you can watch when it scans, and you can view the files that are being scanned. Anyway, it did freeze on me twice so far, where none of the options respond. I had to re-boot, and then everything was fine again.

The screen that pops up when you click on the spinning a icon down by the clock works perfectly fine. Never had any problems with that, just the main scanning screen that you use to scan your system. Has anyone else had this happen?

Douglas

Culpeper

Re:Main Avast screen freeze!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2004, 06:46:59 AM »
It is freezing during a thorough scan?

Tipton

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2004, 06:51:54 AM »
No I wasn't even scanning my system yet. I just had the main screen up on my desktop. And then I clicked on the Avast icon down by the clock, and made a few adjustments, then minimized it back down by the clock. Then when I went to click on the hard drive icon on the main scanning screen nothing would happen. It was just froze there. So I just rebooted and everything was fine. It does a full thorough scan just fine, even within archives. Its just that the main screen froze before I even could start a scan.

Douglas
« Last Edit: January 30, 2004, 06:53:58 AM by Tipton »

Culpeper

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2004, 06:54:50 AM »
Okay, I tried to duplicate the problem but was unable.  The Alwil staff will probably address this when they come back on shift.

Tipton

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2004, 06:58:53 AM »
Maybe its a skin problem? I am using the wide screen skin.  Anyway, I will wait to see if the Alwil staff has any comments.

Douglas

Culpeper

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2004, 07:01:59 AM »
Try switching skins.  Personally, I use the low resolution skin.

Tipton

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2004, 07:14:06 AM »
I played around with it a bunch more and could not get it to do it again. Maybe it was a combination of having both the main scanner screen, and the Avast on access scanner screen up at the same time making adjustments, I don't know.

Douglas

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2004, 08:50:01 AM »
Interesting, never heard of this problem so far... :-\
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2004, 09:34:21 AM »
Well, I encountered a skin problem a number of times... I'm not sure if it's the same, but it was like this:
The program itself was working (I guess), but the user interface (skin) was "mouse-transparent" - i.e. whenever I clicked on it, the click went to the window below it. So, there was not way to control it, of course.
Killing the program and restarting it helped, though.

Datagg

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2004, 02:32:48 PM »
I also had the other day a major crash, well it wasnt a crash persay, my Graphic card lost its connection to the drivers causing the VPU to try to restore them, if failed and only had 36 colors.....

This only happens when a thorough scan is done of every single aspect of comp. It has happened twice now, but only when scanning.

Something to maybe look into guys....

Anyother questions on specs at all let me know and ill provide...

Just got done doing a review at cnet, couldnt have possibly given better reccomends, and am shortly going to add banner to my online store...

Thanks guys

Tipton

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2004, 04:11:22 PM »
Well, I encountered a skin problem a number of times... I'm not sure if it's the same, but it was like this:
The program itself was working (I guess), but the user interface (skin) was "mouse-transparent" - i.e. whenever I clicked on it, the click went to the window below it. So, there was not way to control it, of course.

Hmmm....maybe thats what happened to me. Hard to say, because I did not have anything else under the screen. The rest of my PC worked fine, its just that clicking on any part of the main Avast screen did nothing, it was froze. I will keep an eye on it and see if it happens again. It might be skin related.

Douglas

Tipton

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2004, 06:48:15 PM »
Ok the screen/skin freeze occured again. I had the wide screen skin on my desktop, and also had the resident protection screen up where you can make adjustments. I then minimized the resident protection screen back down by the clock. I then clicked on the folder option and was going to do a selective scan on my second hard drive. After selecting the folder that I wanted scanned, I clicked the start button and nothing happened. I then tried all the other buttons, and the whole skin was froze. Other software on my system would work fine when I double clicked them. When I would exit any other program, part of that program screen was left behind the Avast skin. I am including some screen shots. Then when I brought up task manager and ended the easy user interface, part of it remained on my screen. I then clicked on another software icon and brought up that screen to my desktop, then closed it and the Avast skin was gone.

Douglas

Tipton

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2004, 06:49:17 PM »
Heres the other screen shot before I hit end task in task manager. That screen behind the Avast skin is my zone alarm firewall after exiting it.

Douglas
« Last Edit: January 30, 2004, 06:50:26 PM by Tipton »

Tipton

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2004, 09:26:15 PM »

I wonder if some of the skins don't work 100% with some graphics cards. My wife has avast on her PC, using the same wide screen skin, and I for the life of me can not get it to freeze on her PC, like it did on my system.

She is running an Nvidia G-force 2 graphics card. I have alot newer system running a Radeon 9800 pro graphics card.

I have switced to a different skin, and will see if that helps!

Douglas

Datagg

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2004, 09:29:55 PM »
That sounds like a possiblily, I also switched skins, not even thinking that could be it, and have not had that situation arrise since.

me wonders....i had the G5 skin on, now its back to default, and no more vpu errors with graphics...