Author Topic: Main Avast screen freeze!  (Read 18335 times)

Tipton

Re:Main Avast screen freeze!
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2004, 09:33:46 PM »
That sounds like a possiblily, I also switched skins, not even thinking that could be it, and have not had that situation arrise since.

me wonders....i had the G5 skin on, now its back to default, and no more vpu errors with graphics...

Does the person that makes the skins test them with all graphics cards? I find it odd that the wide sceen skin works fine(so far) on my wifes older PC with an older Nvidia card. And then I have had the same skin freeze on my system with a top of the line ATI card. But then again the graphics card may have nothing to do with it!  ???

Douglas

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2004, 09:38:47 PM »
It may actually be a bug in the skinning framework (which is unfortunately not developed by ourselves but licensed from a third party)...

I have no idea whether it's video card -dependent but it may be, given that many people have never experienced the problem...
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Tipton

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2004, 09:44:33 PM »
It may actually be a bug in the skinning framework (which is unfortunately not developed by ourselves but licensed from a third party)...

I have no idea whether it's video card -dependent but it may be, given that many people have never experienced the problem...

Hmmmm...well if it is video card dependent, you might start to see more issues with this, here in the forum, as people start upgrading video cards.

Douglas

Datagg

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2004, 09:48:22 PM »
Very true, with new cards and the drive to make better drivers, its forever changing set of variables. anyways, its the protection we need not the looks, therefore ill stick with the default till someone discovers the reasons for this.

Tipton

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2004, 10:45:33 PM »
Very true, with new cards and the drive to make better drivers, its forever changing set of variables. anyways, its the protection we need not the looks, therefore ill stick with the default till someone discovers the reasons for this.

Yeah, but is the default skin framework any different than the other skins? Who made the default skin?

Douglas

Datagg

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2004, 10:53:21 PM »
That i dont know, but it was with the original download, the otehrs I added after words, so ill assume the ones that came with download package are the defaults and have been tested for a longer time frame.

Tipton

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2004, 11:00:10 PM »
That i dont know, but it was with the original download, the otehrs I added after words, so ill assume the ones that came with download package are the defaults and have been tested for a longer time frame.

Good idea!

Douglas

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2004, 11:19:14 PM »
Those additional skins has nothing to do with your problem guys. Every single skin was made with same software. You don't understand what Vlk meant by "THIRD PARTY"... that is software house that produced "SkinBuilder". And, please stop blaming somebody, 'cause you are not 100% sure that main problem is in skins. It seems like you don't want to find solution for that problem in a peaceful way, but "let's blame and hang somebody!!!" Do you have any idea how much time it takes to make all graphics and force that skin to do wonderful job for all of you ? I bet, you don't... so it's very easy to blame somebody... our skins are the core for your problem... is that true ? It's not, and I'm sure 300% in that. I made all those additional skins, but you are talking about all skins, skins in general. No one else, except you, reported problems that you have. All skins are 200 times tested on my computer and also Vlk tested them countless times... I'm not sure for your graphic cards, but tell me something... what makes you think that new (powerful) graphic cards may have problems reading absolutelly basic BMP files ? Maybe you have some problems if you activate "TRANSLUCENT EFFECT" in avast! Then, some tga's with alpha channel (transparent) are active. Try to change some settings for your graphic cards if it's possible...

Once again... you have no manners at all. Start to blame someone like that, no matter is it avast's GFX guy M.Novak or me S.Z.Craftec (Mr. Nobody). Skins can not be published if they don't pass all tests. If skin is not working, than it's not working... there is no million reasons why skin can fail. For making skins, we use small program that also can test all possible situations... Those guys who made that skin maker (Softshape) are responsible for code, NOT Martin or myself...

We tried to help other people to find something that is also good looking, besides all those qualities that avast! has with or without our skins. I don't make any money on my work, so it's only my good will...

I'll repeat myself... no one else has blamed skin designers or skins, but you two. I'm not just some kid that plays with GFX tools. I was making GFX for applications and games since I was 18 (last 15 years). My target is not to show people my artworks, but to give them something that looks nice and also that is useable. If it makes problems, that skin can't pass the test. Naturally.

Have a nice day !

P.S. Provide me with screenshot of the problem caused by one of those skins I made (G5, Matri-X-kin, Laah-Ra and yet unpublished O-Stix-kin)... If you find at least one skin that makes you problem, I'll tell you what is your problem, 'cause I'm 100% sure that I used TGA files with alpha channel (which is probably problem for your GFX cards) only in one skin. So if that is the problem, than you can be sure that problem is not in programmers, skin designers or makers of skinbuilder application... You can't "read" the alpha channel properly with your GFX cards, and that's not skin designer's problem. Normal state is that every GFX card (especially new models) can read and show those trasparent informations. Possible solution (not necessarily): turn off the translucent effect in avast!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2004, 02:16:47 AM by S.Z.Craftec »

Tipton

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2004, 11:39:52 PM »
S.Z.Craftec, sorry that you took things so personal. I have gone back and re-read my comments, and see no where that I have blamed anyone for anything. I am simply trying to find a solution for an issue that I had, and using the process of elimination to track it down. If anything, I blamed my own graphics card for maybe being too new! New technology is sometimes worse than old technology. Since I started this post, others have come foward with similiar issues, including Igor, who mentions he encountered skin issues many times. To claim I have no manners is counter productive for what we all try to accomplish here in the forum, and deserves no further comments.

Douglas

PS, I don't have translucent effects checked in the settings.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2004, 11:44:43 PM by Tipton »

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2004, 11:57:17 PM »
You're right... but, take it from my point of view. I'm trying to help people and make something that will give'em opportunity to choose between many different shapes that they can put their best antivirus in.

This forum is for solving problems, but by asking, checking with others, and not making conclusions closed and final without any proof. First we must check all possibilities, and then make conclusions.

As I said, give me a screenshot and maybe we can find out what's your real problem. I'll see what areas are problematic inside some specific skin... but, until now, no one reported to me that any of my skins gives them problems, not even you mentioned any of those skins made by me. By the way, all skins (Martin's or mine) were designed with exactly the same program "SkinBuilder"... Exactly same procedure... Default avast! skin (Blue Panel) is exactly the same like all other skins in avast! skin download section, and it was produced using SkinBuilder. There is no difference in between default skin and all others. Clones with different graphics.

Cheers !
« Last Edit: January 31, 2004, 12:03:00 AM by S.Z.Craftec »

Tipton

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2004, 12:05:04 AM »
Earlier in this thread I show two screen shots of the freeze problem, using the wide screen skin. I also had this happen using the Laah-RA  skin. I mentioned that I thought it was a good idea to switch back to the default skin, which I did. I did this for trouble shooting purposes only. I want to see if this will happen with all skins, like I said, the process of elimination. Afterall, its the skin/my hardware that is suspect here. I am not having any other problems with any of the other Avast screens. When I say Avast screens, I mean the Avast on access scanner screens, not the other skins.

Douglas
« Last Edit: January 31, 2004, 12:13:37 AM by Tipton »

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2004, 12:16:53 AM »
That's it ! Only in Laah-Ra I used some semi-transparent areas and they are located in display area (rectangular field where you can read all those information that avast! gives you). That is the only one skin made by me that contains some translucent areas. Those areas are not BMPs, but TGAs with 5th channel, alpha channel. It looks like, no matter are you using translucent effect in avast! or not, TGAs causes problems for you guys. I'm 99% sure !

All other skins made by me are completely TGA free. But, the problem is, Martin likes to use TGA a lot in his skins. If it is the problem, I can remove TGA file from that skin (Laah-Ra) and I'll put ordinary 24-bit BMP instead. I can send you that version of the skin, and you test it and let me know... Is that fair ?

Cheers !
« Last Edit: January 31, 2004, 12:24:54 AM by S.Z.Craftec »

Tipton

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2004, 12:22:42 AM »
Seems fair to me. So does the wide screen skin contain the same TGA's that you are talking about?

I have been working this default skin over pretty good that cane with the Avast download, and have not been able to crash it. But then these other freeze problems occured when I least expected it. I was just setting up to run a scan when they happened.

Douglas

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2004, 12:34:27 AM »
Sorry Tipton, but Wide screen skin was made by M.Novak. I made only those last 4 skins (there is my name next to skin preview pictures. Probably, if not 100%, Martin was using tgas in Wide screen skin. Default Blue Panel skin, 100% use alpha channel and TGA in base skin graphics (main screen). You can always check that if you turn ON TRANSLUCENT EFFECT in avast! preferences. When you move your avast program all around your desktop, you should see through "alpha" areas... you should see your desktop under those areas. In default skin Blue Panel, those areas are located in that frame around display area.
If you find those problems to happen just in those skins with alpha channel and TGAs used inside, then there is the problem. Maybe you should try to update drivers for your GFX card if you didn't do it yet (I believe you already did, but this is just possibility)...

I'll replace that TGA file with BMP inside my Laah-Ra skin and I'll send you new version, so you can test it. Tell me, where should I send it ? I can do that right now, just for you guys (sorry, I've been so direct and angry, but... I appologize !).

If you want, you can wait 15-25 minutes, and I'll send it to you...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2004, 12:35:50 AM by S.Z.Craftec »

Tipton

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2004, 12:50:47 AM »
Well, lets see, I don't really want to post my e-mail address on a public forum!  :-X.  Maybe for now you could tell me which skins that are  already available,  don't have the TGA's which you feel could be contributing to my issue. Then I can just use them for awhile. I actually have a few ideas for a skin, if you are interested sometime.

Douglas