Author Topic: Why Apple Should Acquire AMD  (Read 3108 times)

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Why Apple Should Acquire AMD
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 09:23:14 PM »
I can think of one reason why not, conflict of interest with the new Mac range with Intel processors, etc.

I can't see them suddenly switch to AMD chipsets and processors, so what would their incentive be to see AMD improve their processors whilst having Intel processore in their systems and make Macs look sluggish. Wasn't this one of the reasons from making the switch to Intel.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mouniernetwork

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 11:53:19 PM »
I think that Apple will make the switch once AMD can have a processor just as good or better.

Al968

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 05:27:55 PM »
I can think of one reason why not, conflict of interest with the new Mac range with Intel processors, etc.

I can't see them suddenly switch to AMD chipsets and processors, so what would their incentive be to see AMD improve their processors whilst having Intel processore in their systems and make Macs look sluggish. Wasn't this one of the reasons from making the switch to Intel.

Apple switched to Intel for faster mobile processors. remember we were still using a 6 year old G4 chip in the laptops before the intel switch.
I think that Apple will make the switch once AMD can have a processor just as good or better.

Al968
Intel is also designing and producing Apple's motherboards as well. they really are "intel" Macs
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

mouniernetwork

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 09:32:49 PM »

Apple switched to Intel for faster mobile processors. remember we were still using a 6 year old G4 chip in the laptops before the intel switch.

Al968
Intel is also designing and producing Apple's motherboards as well. they really are "intel" Macs
I guess that changes everything  ;D

Al968

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 04:50:41 PM »
This is part of the article that caught my attention:

Another benefit that Apple will reap out of this (other than adding another revenue stream) is to have complete control over its hardware from a cost standpoint. If it can convert Macs to AMD and ATI chips, all the key components are being developed in-house. Talk about increasing margins. Apple could either squeeze out higher margins-per-PC to lower the cost-per-Mac to allow for affordable switchover from Windows or improve its bottom line directly. Regardless of which way you cut it, Apple is going to be a winner in all of this

Where there's smoke, sometimes there is in fact fire. It'll be interesting to watch to see if anything develops out of this...