Author Topic: error deleting file  (Read 3159 times)

CLR

error deleting file
« on: November 29, 2006, 09:42:59 PM »
From my latest scan I received this result.

I tried to delete or move to chest.
I get an error message.
I tried to find these files through my computer's search function.
Even looking in hidden files doesn't turn them up.
Apparently they only exist where avast can find them, not me.
Any ideas on what I can do to get rid of these problems.

avast! Report
* This file is generated automatically
* Task 'Simple user interface' used
* Started on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 2:06:39 PM
* VPS: 0651-2, 11/28/2006

C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\QJO2YC1W\aimtoday[1].adp\aimtoday[1] [E] GZIP archive is corrupted. (42129)
C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\QJO2YC1W\aimtoday[2].adp\aimtoday[2] [E] The file is a decompression bomb. (42110)
Infected files: 0
Total files: 581214
Total folders: 8926
Total size: 40.7 GB

* Task stopped: Wednesday, November 29, 2006 2:52:49 PM
* Run-time was 46 minute(s), 10 second(s)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: error deleting file
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 09:51:39 PM »
C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\QJO2YC1W\aimtoday[1].adp\aimtoday[1] [E] GZIP archive is corrupted. (42129)
This is not an infected file. Just that avast unpacker could not handle it. Don't worry.
You can only repair executable files. You can't delete or move files inside an archive file (like gzip).

C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\QJO2YC1W\aimtoday[2].adp\aimtoday[2] [E] The file is a decompression bomb. (42110)
decompression bomb is just something that unpacks to an unusually big amount of data even though it's rather small (i.e. has a high compression ratio, for example). It's nothing to worry about, you are just informed that avast! will not try to unpack the archive (you may not even know that it's an archive, but it seems like it is) because it may take VERY long to process.
(quoted from Igor: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=15389.msg131213#msg131213)
I'd suggest to ignore these files. But you can change values into avast4.ini file to configure how avast should work with these files.
Click 'Settings' in my signature for more info  ;)
The best things in life are free.