Author Topic: Rogue remover  (Read 4556 times)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Rogue remover
« on: November 29, 2006, 07:48:47 PM »
A new tool available from Rubber Ducky here http://www.malwarebytes.org/rogueremover.php

A sample of the targets

Ads Alert, Adware Bazooka, Adware Filter, Adware Punisher, AdwareDelete, AdwarePatrol, AdwareRemover, AdwareSheriff, AdwareSpy, AlertSpy, AlfaCleaner, Anti Virus Pro, AntiSpyware Soldier, AntiVermins, AntiVirus Golden, BraveSentry, CleanX, Doctor Adware, Doctor Adware Pro, Easy Spyware Killer, ETD Security Scanner, HitVirus, KillAndClean, KillSpy, PAL Spyware Remover, PestBot, PestCapture, PestTrap, RazeSpyware, RebrandSoft AdwareSpyware Remover, Remedy AntiSpy, Spy Defence, Spy iBlock, Spy-Kill, SpyAxe, SpyCut, SpyDeface, SpyDestroy Pro, SpyFalcon, SpyHeal, Spyinator, SpyLax, SpyNoMore, SpySheriff, SpyTrooper, Spyware Disinfector, Spyware Quake, Spyware Remover (SpyAdvanced), Spyware Stormer, SpywareBot, SpywareCleaner, SpywareStrike, SpywareThis, SystemDoctor 2006, The Spy Guard, TitanShield AntiSpyware, Ultimate Defender, VirusBlast, VirusBurst, WinAntiSpyware 2006, WinAntiVirus 2006 

Full list here http://www.malwarebytes.org/rogueremover_history.php

The author also produced Qoofix, Aboutbuster and E2takeout

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: Rogue remover
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 08:00:28 PM »
Hi essexboy,

I don't know if you uploaded the program file to virustotal or jotti for analysis, because the DrWeb pre-link scanner comes up with this:

2006-11-29 21:13:06 MSK     

Download News Support

File size: 349.8K

download.php?id=1 - archive ZIP
>download.php?id=1/COMCTL32.OCX - OK
>download.php?id=1/RogueRemover.dll - OK
In file >download.php?id=1/RogueRemover.exe probably found virus BACKDOOR.Trojan

I want to know it is a 100% clear download to run it on my machine. Can you clarify,

Damian
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 08:04:10 PM »
If you can't trust Malwarebytes who can you trust.  There is another link at MajorGeeks http://www.majorgeeks.com/RogueRemover_d5360.html

Yep it is good I have run on my system Damian and spoken to the Author

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 08:12:52 PM »
Funny thing essexboy, because the second link is not flagged by DrWeb's, so that must mean that it is with the download site or in what comes additional with that proggie. Tell them about my findings, and do not advise the first download link. The program may be super but the download may be corrupted. DrWeb's do not lie, and it cannot be a FP in this case.

the old pol
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

mauserme

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 01:50:41 AM »
Results of the unzipped executable downloaded from the author's site:

I think its a false positive Damian.  I also scanned with AdAware, Super AntiSpyware, and Spyware Terminator and nothing was found.