Author Topic: Upon What Windows Services does avast! depend?  (Read 4094 times)

davidis99

Upon What Windows Services does avast! depend?
« on: November 29, 2006, 08:10:07 PM »
I installed avast! on a PC, then disabled several services which listed no dependencies, and would be possible avenues of remote attack.  After disabling these services and rebooting, avast! will not start.   Under control panel, services, avast! antivirus service lists "avast! standard shield support" and RPC as the services on which it depends, but there's no list of "avast! standard shield support" as a separate service.   Under event viewer, there's an error message "Program Path: "c:\program files\alwil software\avast4" is invalid.  Correct it or reinstall the program.   That path is correct, reinstalling the program did not fix the problem.   I suspect the problem is due to a service that was turned off but don't know which.  I've turned a few back on, with no luck so far. 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Upon What Windows Services does avast! depend?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 10:00:46 PM »
Reinstalling the program did not fix the problem.
Did you uninstall / boot / install again / boot?

I suppose you have to have four avast! services:
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe (avast! antivirus service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashUpdSv.exe (avast! Update Service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe (avast! Web Scanner service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe (avast! e-Mail Scanner service)

The two first of them should be Automatic loaded and the two last Manually loaded.

The dependeces are only RPC and "avast! standard shield support" (which is not reported as a standalone service  ???).
Sorry, can't help further... need Alwil team here.
The best things in life are free.

davidis99

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 06:22:19 PM »
"Did you uninstall / boot / install again / boot?"

Yes.  No luck.  Wound up blowing out the machine and rebuilding since I couldn't fix it, but it was a virgin build, so I'd still like to know what happened to prevent avast! from starting any services.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 08:08:32 PM »
So I'd still like to know what happened to prevent avast! from starting any services.
Is there anything on avast logs (check avast Log Viewer) and/or Windows Events about this problem? Services not starting, etc.
I suppose you're installing is a Windows XP SP2 with admin rights acccount.
The best things in life are free.