Author Topic: Help, Internet acting very weirdly, Virus?  (Read 3143 times)

younghwan91

Help, Internet acting very weirdly, Virus?
« on: November 30, 2006, 08:27:47 AM »
Hey, after I reformatted I have been experiencing VERY weird spikings in my internet. The delay between website loading times is very abnormal.
I can download at my normal speed, but ever since I had someone reinstall my WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL for me, I have been experiencing very bad lag when opening websites, and when playing games, I have been spiking very very badly, making it almost unbearable to play. I am wondering if a virus can install itself while installing Windows XP, making it hidden? or if my friend used a pirated version of Windows XP im not sure if he did or not, but is it possible a virus hid itself in a system file?
To me, this lag feels like a virus, I have scanned with Kaspersky 6.0 and AVG Professional and avast!, with no results (newest definitions).

I have tried spyware scans, bandwidth monitors, everything. I am very determined to resolve this lag Sad!!

Is it possible a virus can hide somewhere, a Anti Virus cannot scan?
Or is this huge lag, just due to congestion of my internet service provider?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Help, Internet acting very weirdly, Virus?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 12:22:39 PM »
I have scanned with Kaspersky 6.0 and AVG Professional and avast!, with no results (newest definitions).
Is it possible a virus can hide somewhere, a Anti Virus cannot scan?
With this three scanners? I don't think so...
I suppose you've installed one at once... avoiding conflicts...

I have tried spyware scans, bandwidth monitors, everything. I am very determined to resolve this lag Sad!!
Or is this huge lag, just due to congestion of my internet service provider?
It will be good if you test your internet speed...
http://www.dsl-speed.org/test.htm
Which firewall do you use?
The best things in life are free.

younghwan91

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 04:11:39 AM »
hmm, i use an inbuilt router firewall and yes I tried all 3 individually.
My internet speed is fine, my maximum speed as stated by my ISP.
But, it seems like during gaming, I have very bad packet loss? causing lag..
:S Thanks.

mauserme

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 07:25:43 AM »
... if my friend used a pirated version of Windows XP im not sure if he did or not, but is it possible a virus hid itself in a system file?

If he got it from a crack site you might find all kinds of surprises.  But what caused you to reformat in the first place?  Were there prior malware problems?

... is this huge lag, just due to congestion of my internet service provider?

If you have access to another computer try the same sites on that one. This should tell you if its the machine that's slow or something on the wan side.

i use an inbuilt router firewall

Do you mean something you've installed on the computer or a router/hardware firewall?

If its software what is it?  If its hardware do you also have a software firewall providing outbound protection?