Author Topic: SBS 2003 Problems  (Read 38185 times)

Burl

SBS 2003 Problems
« on: January 30, 2004, 07:18:19 PM »
Hello again,

I have installed !Avast 4.1 on an SBS 2003 server and included all available plugins.  The program does not appear to be functioning.  I do not get any indication that any of the scanning operations are being done nor am I able to update the virus database.

About Avast! shows version 4.1 - Build Nov2003(4.1.63) and the VPS file is version 0311-6

I am seeing errors in the Avast Eventlog as follows:

Event ID:27136
Connot load response file AveInffWSS.txt
(this appears to occur once a day)

Event ID:90
Function setiface UpdatePackages() has failed.  Return code is: 0x2000000A, dwRes is 2000000A.

What can I do to get this running correctly so my client can evaluate this before the trial period is over?

Thanks,
Burl

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:SBS 2003 Problems
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2004, 07:30:31 PM »
1. Is the avast antivirus service running? (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services)

2. You can't update even manually? (right-click the avast tray icon, and choose Update -> iAVS)

3. Have you passed through the Server Deployment Wizard after installation?

4. Is the avast tray icon crossed?

Thanks
Vlk
« Last Edit: January 30, 2004, 07:30:42 PM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Burl

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2004, 08:01:36 PM »
Answers to your questions:

1.  Yes, I see both the !Avast Antivirus and the !Avast iAVS4 Control Service running.

2.  I can select the Update -> iAVS option but I don't see any response.  However I do see another Event ID; 90 entry in the Avast Event log which has a time stamp matching the time when I initiated the update request.

3.  I don't recall the Server Deployment Wizard. I may or may not have run through it.

4.  No, the Avast tray icon is not crossed.

Would it be more helpful to uninstall/reinstall at this point?

Thanks,
Burl

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2004, 08:34:04 PM »
Well, you're probably right that reinstallation would be the fastest way to solve it.

I have some tips for solving the current problems but if you're willing to reinstall the program, it would be certainly better.

Please download the latest version http://download4.avast.com/iavs4pro/avsrv_ful.exe and use that.

And make sure to complete the Server Deployment Wizard (it will be run automatically after you install the program and restart the machine).

Thanks
Vlk

Burl

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2004, 08:42:27 PM »
I don't mind doing a reinstall but if you have some ideas that may resolve the problem I would rather try that first.

Is the download reference a newer version than the one I have currently installed?

BTW, after a bit of reflection, I do recall running the Server Deployment wizard.

Burl

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2004, 08:47:47 PM »
To solve the update problem:

- kill all processes called avast.setup, avast01.setup etc. (from Task Manager, for example)

- grant the following rights to the account that the services are running under:

- Act As Part of The Operating System
- Adjust Quotas
- Replace a Process Level Token

About Exchange scanning... have you selected the Exchange 2000 and SMTP 2000 plugins when installing? If so, rerun the Deployment wizard (it's in the avast group in Start menu), and make sure to tick the Exchange 2000 and SMTP 2000 boxes on one of the pages (I think it's on the fourth page).

Thanks
Vlk

Burl

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2004, 10:20:09 PM »
I tried your suggestions and reran the Deployment wizard but I don't see any update and I am still getting that Event ID: 90 error.

I am thinking a reinstall will be less painful and quicker.  I have downloaded another copy of the install file as you suggested and will have to wait until after the business is done working for the day to run the install.

Should I uninstall Avast! prior to re-installing?

If so, are there some particular steps to follow like deleting registry keys etc.

Thanks,
Burl

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2004, 05:35:44 AM »
Yes please first uninstall the current version, and make sure to reboot.
No special steps, just use the Control Panel Add/Remove Programs applet.

Thanks
Vlk

Burl

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2004, 06:27:28 PM »
I uninstalled, rebooted, and installed the latest download of Avast! 4.1 and then ran the Server Deployment wizard selecting the Exchange Server and SMTP options following the requested reboot.

The About Avast info box now shows that I have version 4.1 Build:Jan 2004 (4.1.98) and VPS file version 401-8.

However, I am still getting Event ID:90 error messages in the Antivirus event log every two hours indicating that the update failed with the same data as I originally reported.

Burl

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2004, 10:45:15 PM »
Is the error code 0x2000000A again?
Is there the avast.setup process in the process list (e.g. in Task Manager)?

Thanks
Vlk

Burl

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2004, 01:33:44 AM »
Yes, same error code and there is an avast.setup running in task manager

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2004, 10:01:58 AM »
Are you working on the server by directly using with the keyboard and monitor attached to the machine, or via Terminal Services?

Burl

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2004, 07:11:51 AM »
I am using remote desktop protocol

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2004, 07:22:30 AM »
That must be it. I'd bet there must be an error message hanging on the real desktop. Do you have physical access to the server (and does it have a monitor attached)? If so, please check it out - it's pretty likely you'll see something there.

Or if you don't, try the following (still in front of the physical machine): kill the avast.setup process, and again, invoke manually the update. You should see a message on the desktop (possibly an error message, given that it was blocking the updates previously).

Thanks (and sorry for that)
Vlk
« Last Edit: February 02, 2004, 07:22:54 AM by Vlk »

Burl

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2004, 03:19:46 PM »
Since I am about 900 miles away from the actual site, I will see if I can get someone there to assist in trying your recommendations and I will followup with the results.

Thanks,
Burl