Author Topic: Error 80  (Read 4532 times)

Starzcast

Error 80
« on: December 01, 2006, 03:54:24 AM »
Sometimes I get a notice that my update is not working.  I then go to update manually and usually it works but tonite I got File error 80 and that it could not connect to the server.
Help and thanks so much

{{{}}}

P.S. I love this and heard about Avast from my programmer and my server man.....so wonderful and it works great.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Error 80
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 11:46:34 AM »
Basically, against update errors, check:

1) If the servers.def file is corrupt or 0KB (C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\servers.def).
    You can try and download the servers.def file, http://files.avast.com/iavs4x/servers.def and replace the one in the avast setup folder.

2) If your subscription allows the update right now (i.e., if it is not expired).

3) If your firewall settings and allow avast.setup to connect.
    If you're not sure, just turn off your firewall (to be sure the update failure is not due to it).
    Maybe you should 'remove' avast.setup entry, try to update, receiving a new alert from the firewall, allowing it and checking it to remember.

4)  Check your proxy settings into avast!:
     Left click the avast icon > Settings
     Update (Basic) > Details > Proxy
     Make sure your browser is not set to "Work Offline" (this option is generally in the File menu).
     If it doesn't help, try switching the proxy settings from "Auto-detect" to "No proxy" (I'm assuming you're not connecting to the Internet via proxy).
The best things in life are free.

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 08:00:40 PM »
Sometimes I get a notice that my update is not working.  I then go to update manually and usually it works but tonite I got File error 80 and that it could not connect to the server.

I had this problem, but the tip Tech told you...

Maybe you should 'remove' avast.setup entry, try to update, receiving a new alert from the firewall, allowing it and checking it to remember.

...worked for me, and now I don't have the problem anymore.

I've just removed avast.setup entry in my Comodo Firewall, and did get a new alert when I was updating, and I allow it, and now everything work just fine.
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

Starzcast

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 12:46:46 AM »
Hiya thanks for the quick reply.  I am not showing in my ZoneAlarm the avast.setup in my programs.  I just got the red screen that an update could not be installed again.  Need more help for this damsel in distress :)

Thanks again

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 01:36:38 AM »
What happens if you try a manual update, right click the avast icon, Updating, iAVS Update ?

Did you try the download and replacement of the servers.def file Tech mentioned ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Starzcast

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 03:45:00 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  I tried updating manually but it keeps saying cannot connect to server at avast.  Not sure how to do this other thing can you explain? 
Where do I dl the replacement of the server.def file? I am sorry but a bit of a novice here :)

Thanks so much

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 06:21:13 AM »
Click on the link on Tech's first post.

Download it to your desk top (easy to find there  ;) )

In windows explorer you can drag it to C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup (if that is where you installed avast to).

You will get a pop up asking you if you want to replace the file, say yes.

If you need more assistance, post back, someone will gladly help!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2006, 01:29:48 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I tried updating manually but it keeps saying cannot connect to server at avast.  Not sure how to do this other thing can you explain? 
Where do I dl the replacement of the server.def file? I am sorry but a bit of a novice here :)

The safest bet is to:
1. right click the link that Tech gave in his post, select Save As or Save Target As (depending on your browser).
2. that will pop-up a screen where you can choose where to save it (desktop is easiest to find later), the file name will already be selected and click save.
3. use windows explorer and navigate to the C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup folder so it is open and drag the file from the desktop into the folder and follow what as oldman said and it should be done.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Starzcast

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2006, 03:53:47 PM »
Thank you will do this today.............you guys are great....hope for this damsel I can tell LOL

{{{}}}}

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2006, 04:42:12 PM »
I noticed your other post in what seems an unrelated topic, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=25236.msg206464#msg206464. Is this related to your problem here, if so you should copy it here.