Author Topic: information  (Read 3131 times)

angerios

information
« on: December 02, 2006, 02:04:14 PM »
This is the first time that I use an antivirus,and i would like to know what happens when AVAST drop an infected file in the virus chest.
Is the file there forever?
Or can the virus be deleted and the file saved?

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
  • Santa is watching you ;)
    • avast! in Bulgarian
Re: information
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 02:51:57 PM »
Hello and Welcome to the forums :)

Here's a quote from the help files ;)
The Chest can be thought of as a special folder on your computer that is safe and isolated, which makes it a suitable place for storing specific files. You can still work with the files in the Chest, but with some restrictions.

Main features

Complete isolation from the rest of the operating system. No outer process can affect files in the Chest. It means that no virus can infect them either.
Files in the Chest cannot be run. This "restriction" has its reason: it is impossible to run a virus and infect the rest of the computer or the other files in the Chest.

So with other words, you can work with the files in the chest - e.g. Delete the files, Restore the files .... ;)
You've Got To Get Close To The Flame To See What It's Made Of...

mauserme

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 03:26:19 PM »
Or can the virus be deleted and the file saved?

If its a true virus there is a possibility that the infected file can be cleaned - if not today maybe sometime in the future.  With other types of malware (trojans, worms, etc) the entire file is malware so cleaning is not an option.

Don't rush to delete anything however.  Files in quarantine cannot do any harm and if the detection turns out to be a false positive you will want to restore the file to its original location.  Leave it alone for a couple weeks, scan again with updated definitions, and if still detected as malware then consider deletion.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 03:27:53 PM »
You would have have done the right thing by sending any infected file to the avast chest. Deletion isn't really a good first option (you have none left), 'first do no harm' don't delete, send virus to the chest and always investigate.

There is no rush to delete anything from the chest, a protected area where it can do no harm. Anything that you send to the chest you should leave there for a few weeks. If after that time you have suffered no adverse effects from moving these to the chest, scan them again (inside the chest) and if they are still detected as viruses, delete them.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Starzcast

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 03:41:04 PM »
Hiya.........I had to delete per my cable company.  It changed my IP address and I could not get online otherwise.  Once I went in and deleted it I called them back and we did the fix. 

Thanks so much