Author Topic: How good is avast4 home edition?  (Read 14989 times)

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re:How good is avast4 home edition?
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2004, 03:28:47 AM »
my dell laptop has 32MB vedio card mac lapto has 64MB and the G5 desktop has a 128MB video card
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Firstc520

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2004, 05:26:42 AM »
You should have no problem on the vid card like others have said

I am unning nVIDIA RIVA TNT with 16 meg or ram.
450Mhz w/ 256 ram.

You will be fine.....

as for the win problems that you stated i think the others have that covered ans i am running win 98 w/ no problems

:-)

Hatim

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2004, 05:53:56 AM »
Well, first of all, thx everyone for your guidance. Much appreciated!

I've just installed the program, and on the reboot, I did the bootup scan. There was nothing found on C:\windows directory, but it caught TWO infected files on D:\ with Win32: Trojan-gen.  :o

I used to perform a free virus scan online(housecall by Trend Micro) from time to time, and it never tracked those infected files present on D:\ But the amazing thing is, even though, the TWO files were infected before(dunno, since how long though), it never gave me any trouble. Normally, when there is a virus, you do feel weird system behaviour, but I'm just so confused here. Everything used to work just fine.  ???

Anyway, on detection, it asked me for various actions. I wasn't sure, what to choose between del/del all, but I chose "delete" option just(pressed 1). Dunno, if I've done the right thing or not.

As for now, I'm using it for the very first time, so I don't know abt the correct/appropraite settings of the program. So, if anyone of you can help me with "settings" then I'll be very grateful!

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2004, 05:56:42 AM by Hatim »

Hatim

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2004, 06:47:39 AM »
I'm so confused right now. When I installed it today, and restarted my system, it asked me to perform the boot scan, so when I scanned it, it caught TWO files infected with the Win32: Trojan-gen. On detection, it presented me with various actions to take... as I'm new to it, I didn't know, what to choose... so, I chose option 1: "delete." I deleted the TWO damn files.

Now, after reading your post, it seems tht, you rather repair the damn files instead of deleting them straight. But the infected files have been caught on D:\, and my WINDOWS dir is C:\... so, I don't think tht I've deleted any system file.

Nevertheless, the infected file was like tht: D:\System Volume Info\_restore{......................................}\RP73\A0027854.dll

I've no idea abt tht file. I ve just various softwares/programs installed on D:\

Help me!

denro

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2004, 10:11:19 AM »
Hatim,

From the directory information I believe the two infected files were part of the compressed files used for System Restore in Win XP or XP Pro.  Some of the newer malware is cleverly hiding there because many antivirus programs have trouble picking them up in those compressed files.  If your restores are infected, deletion is the best because you would not want to restore an infected file to you PC.  I have seen infections there and deletions never harmed.  

I also believe that any reports of crashes at installation come from trying to run two virus scanners resident, Norton resident is a particular problem as others have said.  Avast installation warns you 3 times if it finds another antivirus program resident, but I've seen people ignore the warning and try to install.  The result is a hard crash.  To come out of it, you need to reboot into safe mode, then from control panel, add-remove programs, remove Avast.  Then you can try to remove the other antivirus program, but you may have to reboot into the normal Win 32 mode and remove, or at minimum disable Norton or whatever else is running.  Then you can reinstall Avast and all will be well.  It is great that Avast gives three warnings that bad things will happen if you install while another antivirus program is resident, but it might be better if it just flat out refused to install.

On your original question, Avast is the best, least intrusive antivirus program I have seen.  I had a subscription to Norton and was going to look at Avast when the subscription expired.  But I was planning a trip to install a computer in the home of a retired gentleman in another state.  I wanted to become familiar with Avast on my PC before I loaded it on his.   I temporarily disabled Norton and put on Avast.  It was so far superior to Norton, IMO, that I never went back to NAV.  You should have no troubles, and if you do, this forum is the best tech support around.  I am trying to gently persuade the college where I teach to buy Avast Pro and drop Norton as the network antivirus software.

dadkins_1

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2004, 04:39:03 PM »
If the infected files are in fact in one(or more) of you Restore Points you should turn off System Restore and scan just to make sure. Windows likes to protect the Restore Points, even from antivirus programs.

After you scan, be sure to turn System Restore back on.

Hatim

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2004, 08:26:27 PM »
Thanks very much denro for your kind post. :)

dadkins:

There were TWO files with the same Trojan. One of them, I ve mentioned above, the other one was quite similar too. So, I think tht those files were related to "System Restore."

Now, I'm going to act upon your advice, and see, may be, what happens!

Thank you everyone!

Hatim

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2004, 08:36:12 PM »
I don't get this... I've used Norton and Pc-cillin both, but when it catches a virus, it keeps track of it. I mean, they show the history in some log file(when the virus was found, cleaned, name, etc). And I caught TWO infected files with avast, but there is no mention of them in the whole program. The log file is empty. Does avast not store the history automatically or does it require some special action to do so??

::)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2004, 08:37:25 PM by Hatim »

dadkins_1

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2004, 09:56:36 PM »
Right click the avast! icon in the system tray and look under "Log Viewer"> "Warning". You should see the log of the removed nasties.

Hatim

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2004, 10:05:27 PM »
Right click the avast! icon in the system tray and look under "Log Viewer"> "Warning". You should see the log of the removed nasties.

It caught the infected files, when I restarted my PC after installing avast. It asked me to perform a boot scan, and I did, then on detection, I simply "deleted" the files.

But the log file is empty. Nothing there at all!

denro

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2004, 10:25:48 PM »
But the log file is empty. Nothing there at all!

If they were picked up in the first boot scan before windows loads and the 32 bit Avast starts, they probably won't show in the log file.  Anything picked up in the future by a scan or resident action from within Windows will show in the log file.  Also, the boot scan will pick up the infections in the Restore points and your action to delete them was correct.  It should not be necessary to also turn off System Restore and do another scan: the boot scan is essentially the scan with system restore not yet running.   If you do shut off, even temporarily, system restore from within Windows, you will lose all of your restore points and be starting from scratch when you re-enable system restore.  Avast, by making available the boot scan, saves one from having to lose all the restore points, you have only lost the infected ones (unless you already took the other poster's advice to disable system restore.)  You will enjoy avast.

dadkins_1

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2004, 10:46:23 PM »
Did you click on the "Warning" button in avast! Log Viewer?

Hatim

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2004, 10:51:59 PM »
dadkins, yes, I checked tht. Nothing there at all!

denro, yes, unfortunately, I've lost all the restore points.  :-[

John-

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2004, 11:30:10 PM »
I have this semilar problem too,...Avast caught the "myDoom" in the email,...but in the log no sign bout this virus even begin caught,... i checked all the boxes,....

dadkins_1

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2004, 01:23:00 AM »
Hmmm, Maybe it doesn't record from boot scans. Sorry, I can't remember if I've ever had a boot scan. I just figured you were like me and didn't know about the different logs. :-[

My bad!

When Vlk gets here he will know.