Author Topic: How good is avast4 home edition?  (Read 14946 times)

Firstc520

Re:How good is avast4 home edition?
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2004, 03:21:51 AM »
John it wouldn't be in the log view that the infection would have been in.  if you start the AVAST and go  into settings, go to REPORT FILE and make sure it is turned on.  Avast by default does not turn on this option which is where the report would be of what was infected or not infected during a scan.  the default directory for the reports is C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\report.

Best Regards.  :-)  (man i can't spell correctly tonight)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2004, 03:52:04 AM by First_c »

John-

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2004, 11:28:23 AM »
Thanx,...I had enable this option a few days ago, after I noticed that Avast didn't log the infected attachment with "MyDoom".

I will see if it logs next time I get an infection.  I do not receive that many virusses anymore as I used to have,...maybe 1 every 5 months or so  ;)

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2004, 03:13:21 PM »
I used McAfee before, and I have noticed this:

- avast! takes much less disk space (huge difference)
- I sometimes had long hangs/pauses with McAfee
- I notice no slowdown with avast! compared to McAfee
- The updates come ofter and of course they are free

Only thing I don't like is the "X-Antivirus:" and "X-Antivirus-Status:" tags avast! adds to incoming and outgoing mails. They take up space, and no one reads them (I'd like to have an option to turn them off - I'd rather use the signatures). Should be so easy, only an extra checkbox on each service (POP, SMTP and IMAP). Hope they'll fix it one nice day :-)
www.osterud.name - ICQ: 7297605 - AIM/Yahoo/Facebook/Skype/Astra: LarsErikOsterud

Tipton

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2004, 04:35:46 PM »

Only thing I don't like is the "X-Antivirus:" and "X-Antivirus-Status:" tags avast! adds to incoming and outgoing mails. They take up space, and no one reads them (I'd like to have an option to turn them off - I'd rather use the signatures). Should be so easy, only an extra checkbox on each service (POP, SMTP and IMAP). Hope they'll fix it one nice day :-)

What status tags? I don't get any status tags unless I set those options in the on access scanner.  Please explain!

Douglas

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2004, 04:47:47 PM »
Not in the message itself. But choose to look at the headers of the message, and you will see tags like this (the example is a test message send to myself - also both in- and outbound):

X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS 29.01.04), Outbound message
X-Antivirus-Status: Clean
X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS 29.01.04), Inbound message
X-Antivirus-Status: Clean

I think there are enough headers in messages allready, and I don't need this info on my incoming messages (I get a message from avast! if they're not clean anyway). And for outgoing messages, a notice in the message body is better (not a lot of people even know about the headers).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2004, 04:48:42 PM by Lars-Erik »
www.osterud.name - ICQ: 7297605 - AIM/Yahoo/Facebook/Skype/Astra: LarsErikOsterud

mickymike

Re: How good is avast + how do you re-register, before it expires?
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2006, 05:09:15 PM »
hi...i have xp professional, and no probs here, the only prob i currently have is a nagging red avast pop up window telling us that my current registration is about to expire
...but checked out all the faq's and just says; after one year you need to re-register...so my question is, do i have to uninstall my current avast software, or can i just get another registration number and apply it to my existing avast progamme?...and if i can, then how do we go about doing it? ...any assistance would be much appreciated :)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 05:12:41 PM by mickymike »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: How good is avast4 home edition?
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2006, 05:33:27 PM »
If you either contact the on-line Share*it payment processing they should have sent you your registration key and email, etc. there may also be renewal discount, so you should contact them directly or contact sales @ avast.com (without the spaces).

You don't have to uninstall, when you get your new registration key you enter it as you did before.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: How good is avast + how do you re-register, before it expires?
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2006, 05:43:17 PM »
Do i have to uninstall my current avast software, or can i just get another registration number and apply it to my existing avast progamme?
No need to uninstall, you can just change the number.

and if i can, then how do we go about doing it? ...any assistance would be much appreciated :)
See the tutorial:  http://www.avast.com/files/tutorials/insert_key.htm
Please take a look here: http://www.avast.com/eng/i_was_successfully_r.html
The best things in life are free.