Author Topic: Honest opinion on Avast pro  (Read 5447 times)

lord_sean

Honest opinion on Avast pro
« on: January 31, 2004, 01:58:27 AM »
I'm looking into buying Avast pro to replace my Kaspersky which is about to expire in Feb. Can I please get an honest opinion on how it compares to say, Norton, Mcafee in regards to both viri and trojan/backdoors. Also, KAV is the king of unpackers, how does Avast do in scannig runtime packed files. I have been searching for reviews that compare but ahve come up dry, that is why I'm posting here.

Culpeper

lord_sean

Re:Honest opinion on Avast pro
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2004, 02:48:19 AM »
Well VB is ok, but an AV's ability to find ITW viri does not impress me much, it's the viri that are not seen as often that I worry about. This is where KAV shinned, but it is very resource intensive, and also scans every file while you try to defrag you hard disk, a major bug is you ask me

Culpeper

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2004, 02:58:01 AM »
I suppose Avast does better than most.  I haven't seen anyone come on the board crying about how Avast missed something and now their machine is all messed up.  Personally, I like Avast for the email scanner, the forum support, and the lack of cost on my part for its use (home version).  In addition to peer support on this board the Alwil team members are on here daily answering questions and so forth.  My prior experience with AV software was in order, Norton, InoculateIT, PC-Cillin, and then Avast.  I like Avast the best.

I was looking at Kapersky the other day and it seemed to be way too intensive for me.  

« Last Edit: January 31, 2004, 03:00:38 AM by Culpeper »

lord_sean

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2004, 03:13:18 AM »
After looking thru the forums here I see no real complaints on detection, looks like I will be buying the pro version. I normally try to support companies who have great freeware and do not try to push there pay for product to you all the time, that and I'm getting a 5014.00 income tax refund this year :) :)

Tipton

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2004, 03:19:34 AM »
I like Avast because of the easy install, the way it is set up as far as navigating around the different setup windows, and of course this support forum. When I first installed Avast, I was impressed because the creators must have had me in mind when they planned it out. I installed it, and went through all the install windows, waiting for the one that was going to piss me off, it never showed up. After the re-boot, I noticed two Avast icons down by my clock, I thought to myself, here comes the clutter........Wrong, the VRDB icon can easily be merged with the on access scanner icon....sweet! I double clicked my desktop icon, expecting to see a screen full of clutter! Wrong once again....instead I found a nice laid out tidy screen with simple access to all the items necessary to configure Avast for a system scan. Later after researching things, I find that Avast auto updates the virus defs, with a cool verbal announcement  when its complete...once again sweet! Program updates can also be set to automatic if you so choose! Later I look in my starup manager, expecting to find a load of  Avast items, once again I was wrong and only found necessary items set for startup to keep my system safe. I can truthfully say I would choose Avast over an AV that had better detection, just because of the user friendly way Avast is laid out!

Douglas

PS.....I am better looking than Bruce!  ;D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2004, 03:30:06 AM by Tipton »

Culpeper

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2004, 05:05:55 AM »
After looking thru the forums here I see no real complaints on detection, looks like I will be buying the pro version. I normally try to support companies who have great freeware and do not try to push there pay for product to you all the time, that and I'm getting a 5014.00 income tax refund this year :) :)

Cool!