Author Topic: avast! and start up  (Read 3110 times)

compet_pl

avast! and start up
« on: January 31, 2004, 01:53:25 AM »
I just installed avast! home. I have old computer with Win98SE. So, I try to remove all not important programs from start up sequence of my Windows always.
I found, that avast! put 2 programs there: "ashServ.exe" and "ashmaisv.exe".

The first one ("ashServ.exe") is ok. avast! need it to wark  ;D

But what about "ashmaisv.exe"? I temporarly deleted it from start up and everything works fine (I hope) till now. For what is this aplication? Do I need it? ??? Or can delete it?

Culpeper

Re:avast! and start up
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2004, 01:55:15 AM »
That is your Avast email scanner.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2004, 02:02:34 AM »
Welcome to the best antivirus related forum community in the world !

You may want to keep that file in your startup directory... it's a very good idea.

Best thing you did is that you removed it temporarly. So, I guess, there will be no problems to bring it back where it belongs...

Cheers !

compet_pl

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2004, 02:16:49 AM »
Many thanks for the fast reply.
I will keep this file then...  :)
Best regards

bbfi

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2004, 02:23:21 AM »
compet_pl,

With the MyDoom worm on the loose, make sure your email is protected with Avast.  My Avast notified me and stopped MyDoom in its tracts before it infected my computer.  And I have received more than 600 of this pesty virus since Monday. This is the worst virus ever according to the authorities and I have never ever in all my years seen so many instances of this emailed to my organization.  On average about 10 every half hour.  :o

So, get ashmaisv.exe back to start up or your computer might become one of the many already infected with MyDoom.   :'(

Many thanks for the fast reply. I will keep this file then...  Best regards

You replied while I was posting mine to you.  I'm glad to see that you are putting it back to the start up.   :D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2004, 02:25:53 AM by bbfi »