Author Topic: Win32:Warezov-MF [Wrm]  (Read 1898 times)

alan_v

Win32:Warezov-MF [Wrm]
« on: December 05, 2006, 01:03:19 PM »
I receivd a mail telling me i was sending out viruses.  There was an attachment with the mail which had the sort of name that windows uses for updates (KB1240-x86.zip).  I selected the right click,scan with avast option with no virus detected.  I unzipped the file and scanned it again, still no virus detected. However when I went to open it, Avast picked up the above worm.  I was surprised that nothing was detected when I right clicked and selected scan.  Is this a feature of the virus (that it disables the virus scan!) or is there a problem with avast in this repect.

mauserme

Re: Win32:Warezov-MF [Wrm]
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 02:56:09 PM »
Welcome to the forum alan_v.

Can you double check the name of the worm?  I don't see the variant you posted in the list of detections.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Win32:Warezov-MF [Wrm]
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 03:42:29 PM »
Thankfully avast did catch it in the end.

However, this is the kind of social engineering that is being used to try and get people open and run attachments. Patches, etc. aren't deployed in this way so you should treat these with extreme caution even if avast doesn't initially detect anything, new variants are always one the go.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security