Author Topic: Avast crashed my DLink router  (Read 11046 times)

BSB

Re: Avast crashed my DLink router
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2009, 08:26:04 PM »
I'm sorry but I don't see the point in resurrecting a 3 year old tread just to disagree with the last poster and tell them they are wrong.

You have asked for help in the other thread, someone there should be able to try to help you with the issue.

-Scott-
I was searching for relevant "ROUTER" issues and found a mistake. This was duly pointed out. The age is irrelevant. Anyone else searching for the same type of information I was may have been mislead into believing that AVAST does not cause router problems. Simple fact is that there are plenty of posts to suggest otherwise.

Again age of post is unimportant.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2009, 08:39:13 PM »
I disagree with you here,

Had you started your own thread detailing your problem, then people searching the forum would find a newer, more relevant one from which to work from.

Simple logic says that you would choose the newest thread similar to your problem as it would have the most relevant info in it

This topic is only relevant to the avast build of that time and there have been many changes to it since then.

IF there is a link between avast and your router then this thread is irrelevant because of its age.

-Scott-

Mr.Agent

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2009, 09:11:36 PM »
Avast! never touched anything from my router and i installed it in alot of computer and no problem at all so i dont not know why its happaned to you. But remember to never have more than 1 anti virus or firewall.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2009, 09:17:04 PM »
I have a DLink DI-524 & a DLink wireless card, they have never interfered with avast!.

A few years ago I got a virus warning from avast! recommending terminating connection.  Nothing got on my computer, but avast! did detect I was on a network & recommended I shut off the other computer(s).

Avast! couldn't tell anything about my network or interfere with it.  I had only one other computer on my network & it was off!  I don't consider what I had as a "network", just two computers hooked up to a DLink router for internet access.

I used to use a MyEssentials (by Belken) router & avast! didn't mess with it.

Sorry for posting in an old thread, I just wanted to confirm that avast! doesn't mess with routers.

BSB

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2009, 02:52:12 PM »
I disagree with you here,

Had you started your own thread detailing your problem, then people searching the forum would find a newer, more relevant one from which to work from.

Simple logic says that you would choose the newest thread similar to your problem as it would have the most relevant info in it

This topic is only relevant to the avast build of that time and there have been many changes to it since then.

IF there is a link between avast and your router then this thread is irrelevant because of its age.

-Scott-

Age is ALWAYS relevant to information. You would not "book a flight based on an old schedule !"
I pointed out a factual error in that while avast "does not change settings on a router" it can interfere.

If I found relevant information to help me in an old post it is more than probable I would thank the OP.
Therefore resurecting an older post.

Having read more posts on router issues it does seem quite feasable that "interference" was and is an issue with some routers. I am quite happy with avast overall but when I have to RDP around a network to be able to get at some of the settings on routers it does beg questions and answers.

I have no problem with NOD32 or AVG from the other machines and that certainly does not mean they are any less efficient in thier operation. As for the poster who suggests only one antivirus I would disagree. When done correctly more than one antivirus offers a great deal of security. No two antivirus are the same I have seen first hand virus get through one antivirus only to be nailed by secondary measures. just the simple fact that I can scan shared drives of other computers with a different antivirus has prooved itself many times over. "Never put all your eggs in the same basket"

I have tried to add both the IP and resultant web page to exclusions in avast but to no avail. I can however state that it does now let to a page on the router that I had problems with before but still locks me out of the "blocked sites" page.