Author Topic: New user have question.  (Read 2258 times)

blows

New user have question.
« on: December 08, 2006, 07:11:36 AM »
Hello I would like to just have a basic anti virus program and would like to know what is not needed to be running all the time.Also i would like to know what does need to be running all the time., Under the services besides the Mail Scanner (as i dont need it) what others can i set to manual? and which one or ones need to be at automatic ?

avast! Antivirus
""       iAVS4 Control Service
""       Mail Scanner,(allready set to manual)
""      Web Scanner (what is web scanner and why is it needed?)

Thanks

mauserme

Re: New user have question.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 08:00:40 AM »
Welcome to the forum.

Rather than changing the services manually it would be better to turn on/off the providers you need in the interface avast! provides.

Right click the a-icon in your system tray and click On-Access Protection Control.  You can turn off the Instant Messaging or  P2P Shield providers, for example, if you do not need these.  At the very least you should keep the Standard Shield and, for internet protection, the Web shield which monitors http for viruses and the Network Shield which provides an additional layer of protection against wan side attacks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: New user have question.
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 11:56:53 AM »
you have to have four avast! services:

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe (avast! antivirus service: resident protection)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe (avast! Update Service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe (avast! Web Scanner service: WebShield provider)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe (avast! e-Mail Scanner service)

The two first of them should be Automatic loaded and the two last Manually loaded.
Well, if you want a minimun running, please, consider the antivirus protection to be loaded and do not mess it  ;)
The best things in life are free.