Author Topic: Extra long Windows XP/Pro init time  (Read 2929 times)

Zione

Extra long Windows XP/Pro init time
« on: December 07, 2006, 10:28:13 AM »
My WinXpPro starting time seemed to be infinite after a accidental power off.
Investigating with Task Manager I found that Avast setup was at "low priority". I changed it to "normal priority" and the setup ended very soon?! Any idea? How could Avast Setup get the low priority? Thanks - Maurizio

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Extra long Windows XP/Pro init time
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 12:03:13 PM »
avast.setup is a temporary file made to update avast antivirus.
It must run at "low priority" to not take as much system resources (specially internet traffic).
You won't want that avast update slow down your browsing, or gamming, etc.
The extra long XP boot time must be related to other troubles...
Which is your startup program list? What is being started automatically?
The best things in life are free.

Zione

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 04:12:09 PM »
I have a long list of auto-started tasks and it takes time to start, but in this particular case it never ended; I tried a system reset without success: same behaviour. The only other info I could give is that, 5 minutes (300 seconds) before changing Avast Setup piority I deleted SPM7.EXE task (Steganos Pw Manager) that was getting almost 50% of the CPU; nothing apparently changed.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 11:34:02 PM »
I have a long list of auto-started tasks and it takes time to start
Why don't you use Startup Delayer.
to control the windows startup (Windows 98\Me\2k\XP) that does not follow a strict order.

You can set some applications to start very after the boot (logon) itself.  ;)
They will manage the execution of programs that are automatically started by the operating system at logon time. Instead of executing many programs at once (causing your OS to spit and sputter and attack your hard drive), StartRight will give the OS time to execute the program before running the next program. The OS should become much more responsive almost imediately after logon.

Since avast! version 4.7.807 the Standard Shield has a feature called do not scan system libraries (by default on) that dramatically decrease the number of files scanned during computer boot.
The best things in life are free.

Zione

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 08:49:40 AM »
Thanks for your help. I already have Avast tailored as you suggest, but will soon test Startup Delayer. Maurizio