Author Topic: Avast Free version 21.1.2449  (Read 2319 times)

Offline Wittmann

• Pegasus
  • Retired professional engineer BSc.Eng M.I.Mech.E
Avast Free version 21.1.2449
« on: March 12, 2021, 11:48:54 AM »
I have used Avast free AV for very many years. I have had no trouble, it has done its work impeccably and I have been well protected.
I raised a small query on Bleeping Computer and got a barrage of dialogue from their senior members that Avast is crap, to get rid of it if I want my computer to work properly and to use Windows Defender !!
See - https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/746239/realtek-pcle-gbe-family-controller/

With my impeccable experience of Avast, these comments from a reliable Forum shock and hurt me. With Avast being acclaimed a world leader with 435 million users, this kind of comment seems absolute rubbish from a highly respected Forum.
PLEASE, can somebody explain this outburst from senior Forum experts ?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 12:00:26 PM by wittmann44 »
UTRINQUE PARATUS
Windows 10 version 20H2 - Avast free AV - ZoneAlarm Firewall

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast Free version 21.1.2449
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 02:52:33 PM »
just because a car is the bestselling in the world it does not mean everyone has had a positive experience with, it may be a big seller because it is cheap ?

if you search this forum you should be able to find lots of avast complaints

« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 04:39:44 PM by Pondus »

Offline Wittmann

• Pegasus
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2021, 03:06:20 PM »
just because a car is the bestselling in the world it does not mean everyone has had a positive experience with it

if you search this forum you should be able to find lots of avast complaints

But are these complaints justified ? Moderators, advisers and senior members do not give a shred of evidence for constantly calling Avast crap. It does not exactly fly the Avast flag to the other thousands of members who read these critical posts.

With my successful long experience with Avast and the constant criticism by BC senior members, I can only conclude that BC is inundated with a vast number of anti-Avast and pro-Microsoft senior members, Moderators and advisers. They must have their reasons, but it leaves me cold to think what they are.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 03:31:43 PM by wittmann44 »
UTRINQUE PARATUS

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2021, 03:49:47 PM »
There is a forum where all security vendors are discussed, you may surf it and see what the users say.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/

Offline Wittmann

• Pegasus
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2021, 05:15:28 PM »
There is a forum where all security vendors are discussed, you may surf it and see what the users say.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/
I have experience with Wilders and it is not a good one. Wilders members opinions on Avast would no doubt be in favour of the individual AV's they themselves have.
Not interested - I would rather surf the web for independent reviews although they vary a lot.
Net result ? What is wrong with Avast ? Answer = absolutely NOTHING.
UTRINQUE PARATUS

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2021, 05:17:13 PM »
Agreed..!!
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2021, 07:44:32 PM »
Agreed..!!

Well I have only been using Avast Free for just short of 17 years, but what do I know :)

In all of that time on all of the different OSes and systems I have used it on, I have never been infected.  For me it has stood the test of time, but it won't suit everyone.  Anyone that just says it is cr4p, without giving details, is giving an opinion without foundation.

For something like an Antivirus, it is a pretty personal thing and it must suit your needs and use.  Avast suits my needs, requirements and is highly configurable to my requirements.

No point in getting avast free and complaining about in-program ads (happens on many free software programs), not that I'm in favour of them all, but I don't feel I get that many.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Wittmann

• Pegasus
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2021, 08:29:35 PM »
Agreed..!!

Well I have only been using Avast Free for just short of 17 years, but what do I know :)

In all of that time on all of the different OSes and systems I have used it on, I have never been infected.  For me it has stood the test of time, but it won't suit everyone.  Anyone that just says it is cr4p, without giving details, is giving an opinion without foundation.

For something like an Antivirus, it is a pretty personal thing and it must suit your needs and use.  Avast suits my needs, requirements and is highly configurable to my requirements.

No point in getting avast free and complaining about in-program ads (happens on many free software programs), not that I'm in favour of them all, but I don't feel I get that many.

WOW ! I could not wish to get a better testimonial than that, plus Asyn's post.
Thank you.  :)
UTRINQUE PARATUS

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2021, 09:50:36 PM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security