Author Topic: firewall not on  (Read 31081 times)

zeb

firewall not on
« on: December 08, 2006, 04:47:43 PM »
HI, new here. I have a question.
I have the 4.7 home edition.
I am getting a windows security alert saying  my firewall is turned off.
when i go to where I need to be to turn it on,
it wont let me click the on button.
Is this the way its supposed to be?
and if not, what do i do? TIA!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: firewall not on
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 04:51:24 PM »
Well avast isn't a firewall and doesn't have any interaction with your firewall or windows security center to be able to trun your firewall off.

What is your firewall ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

zeb

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 05:00:30 PM »
please forgive me, i'm not really computer smart!
I believe its a windows firewall,
or where do i go to find out
what my firewall is?

zeb

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 05:07:19 PM »
when i click on enable now to turn on windows firewall it says-
"were sorry, security center could not turn on windows firewall,
to try to turn it on yourself go to control panel,click general tab
select on and click ok"
but when i try and do that the "on" button is unclickable.

zeb

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 05:17:39 PM »
I also saw this-
"windows firewall is turned off,your network
administrator is using group policy to control these setting"

okay, what is group policy and who is my network administrator???

zeb

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 05:24:33 PM »
also found under the advance tab, it says to restore all firewall settings to a default state, click restore defaults.
Should i try that?
sorry about all these posts but this worries me.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 05:43:10 PM »
Open the Control Panel and look for the Windows Firewall and double click the icon and check the On (Recommended) radio button and click OK.

To open Control Panel, click Windows Start and then click Control Panel.
If your computer is set up in Classic view using the more familiar Start menu, click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

zeb

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 05:51:39 PM »
I have been trying that,
but all the buttons (on, off, or allow exceptions)
are all not clickable, wont let me click them.

At the top it says "for your security, some settings are controlled by group policy"

apparently this is one of them!
what or who is group policy?
thank you

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 05:53:31 PM »
what is group policy and who is my network administrator???
Group policy is a way that Windows controls the type of computer users. For instance, there are System, Administrator, Common Users.
Are you the ONLY one user of this computer or, when you logon, there are other users?
Are you the Administrator of the computer or a common user (technically speaking)?
The best things in life are free.

zeb

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 06:01:42 PM »
I believe i am the only user,
there are no other user that come up.
in fact, that whole screen doesnt even come up anymore where i would have to click on my name to log on.
i just turn my puter on, connect to the internet and thats it.

I'm thinking i am the administrator, not sure.
like i said that whole user name thing to log on, doesnt even come up anymore.
is there a way to find out?

zeb

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 06:03:24 PM »
just checked user accounts-YES i am the administrator.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 06:20:47 PM »
is there a way to find out?
Windows Start Buttom > click Control Panel > User accounts.
Then you can see your name and if you're the Administrator or not.

I suggest you download, install and use WinSnap. A screenshot application that allows you to post pictures...
http://www.ntwind.com/

I picture will talk better than 1000 words.

zeb

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2006, 06:31:53 PM »
Yes, I am the administrator!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2006, 06:52:36 PM »
Yes, I am the administrator!
Start Menu > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services
Check the state of the Firewall service. Or export the services list ( and post here): Action > Export list.

zeb

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2006, 07:14:23 PM »
Name   Description   Status     Startup Type   Log On As
Alerter   Notifies selected users and computers of administrative alerts. If the service is stopped, programs that use administrative alerts will not receive them. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.      Disabled   Local Service
Application Layer Gateway Service   Provides support for 3rd party protocol plug-ins for Internet Connection Sharing and the Windows Firewall.      Manual   Local Service
Application Management   Provides software installation services such as Assign, Publish, and Remove.      Manual   Local System
Automatic Updates   Enables the download and installation of Windows updates. If this service is disabled, this computer will not be able to use the Automatic Updates feature or the Windows Update Web site.   Started   Automatic   Local System
avast! Antivirus   Manages and implements avast! antivirus services for this computer. This includes the resident protection, the virus chest and the scheduler.   Started   Automatic   Local System
avast! iAVS4 Control Service   Provides automatic updating for the avast! antivirus.   Started   Automatic   Local System
avast! Mail Scanner   Implements mail scanning for avast! antivirus.   Started   Manual   Local System
avast! Web Scanner   Implements web (HTTP) scanning for avast! antivirus.   Started   Manual   Local System
Background Intelligent Transfer Service   Transfers data between clients and servers in the background. If BITS is disabled, features such as Windows Update will not work correctly.   Started   Automatic   Local System
ClipBook   Enables ClipBook Viewer to store information and share it with remote computers. If the service is stopped, ClipBook Viewer will not be able to share information with remote computers. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.      Disabled   Local System
COM+ Event System   Supports System Event Notification Service (SENS), which provides automatic distribution of events to subscribing Component Object Model (COM) components. If the service is stopped, SENS will close and will not be able to provide logon and logoff notifications. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.   Started   Manual   Local System
COM+ System Application   Manages the configuration and tracking of Component Object Model (COM)+-based components. If the service is stopped, most COM+-based components will not function properly. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.      Manual   Local System
Computer Browser   Maintains an updated list of computers on the network and supplies this list to computers designated as browsers. If this service is stopped, this list will not be updated or maintained. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.   Started   Automatic   Local System
Cryptographic Services   Provides three management services: Catalog Database Service, which confirms the signatures of Windows files; Protected Root Service, which adds and removes Trusted Root Certification Authority certificates from this computer; and Key Service, which helps enroll this computer for certificates. If this service is stopped, these management services will not function properly. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.   Started   Automatic   Local System
DCOM Server Process Launcher   Provides launch functionality for DCOM services.   Started   Automatic   Local System
DHCP Client   Manages network configuration by registering and updating IP addresses and DNS names.   Started   Automatic   Local System
Distributed Link Tracking Client   Maintains links between NTFS files within a computer or across computers in a network domain.   Started   Automatic   Local System
Distributed Transaction Coordinator   Coordinates transactions that span multiple resource managers, such as databases, message queues, and file systems. If this service is stopped, these transactions will not occur. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.       Manual   Network Service
DNS Client   Resolves and caches Domain Name System (DNS) names for this computer. If this service is stopped, this computer will not be able to resolve DNS names and locate Active Directory domain controllers. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.   Started   Automatic   Network Service
Error Reporting Service   Allows error reporting for services and applictions running in non-standard environments.   Started   Automatic   Local System
Event Log   Enables event log messages issued by Windows-based programs and components to be viewed in Event Viewer. This service cannot be stopped.   Started   Automatic   Local System
Fast User Switching Compatibility   Provides management for applications that require assistance in a multiple user environment.   Started   Manual   Local System
Help and Support   Enables Help and Support Center to run on this computer. If this service is stopped, Help and Support Center will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.   Started   Automatic   Local System
HTTP SSL   This service implements the secure hypertext transfer protocol (HTTPS) for the HTTP service,  using the Secure Socket Layer (SSL).  If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.      Manual   Local System
Human Interface Device Access   Enables generic input access to Human Interface Devices (HID), which activates and maintains the use of predefined hot buttons on keyboards, remote controls, and other multimedia devices. If this service is stopped, hot buttons controlled by this service will no longer function. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.      Disabled   Local