Author Topic: firewall not on  (Read 31008 times)

zeb

Re: firewall not on
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2006, 12:33:32 PM »
Oh my gosh! sure hope not.
if this is the case,
would downloading a new firewall still protect me?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2006, 01:14:15 PM »
Because you have an issue with XP firewall not matter what the cause you shouldn't delay in downloading and installing another firewall. Even if you had no problem with XP's firewall it doesn't provide outbound protection and we would recommend that got a third party firewall.

@ alanrf
The only trojan/malware relating to XP's firewall that I have heard of is by changing registry entries to open a route into the system bypassing the XP firewall. I haven't heard of anything using Group Policy to disable it and by disabling it that would draw attention to the problem, which wouldn't be desirable.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

zeb

« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2006, 12:24:31 AM »
well thank you all for your help!
I did download the zone alarm firewall.
so far it says-
278 intrusions have been blocked,
23 have been high rated.

does that sound like alot? and
what would the intrusions have been?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2006, 12:51:07 AM »
does that sound like alot?
In fact, not.

what would the intrusions have been?
From tentatives of knowing your IP to the ones who try to know who you are, etc.
To personal computers, very little of the hacking is tryed. Hackers want to get control of large networks, companies and famous sites, etc.
Of course, they could 'test' and 'try' on your computer... but very unprobable  :)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2006, 01:01:02 AM »
It sounds like you should switch off the warnings if they are on. Yes that isn't unusual there are many infected systems out their trying to find other systems to infect ('port scanning' random IP addresses) or turn into zombies to send out spam or infection.

I never even look for attack detection stats in my firewall, they are history and the firewall is doing its job and blocking them. Basically it is the firewall trying to make you feel warm, fuzzy and protected. You could take the shields up check at grc.com. This checks the stealth of your system if it can't be seen it is less vulnerable to attack. Your firewall should have logs and you should be able to check them, I don't know how comprehensive these are in ZA free.

My system is very well stealthed and I don't see that kind of activity, only 8 detections today, all 'port scans' all to port 445 http://www.grc.com/port_445.htm a common attack port, which should be looked after by your firewall.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security