Author Topic: Does Avast Turn Off Scheduled Tasks?  (Read 3078 times)

Offline ray_woodcock

Does Avast Turn Off Scheduled Tasks?
« on: January 11, 2021, 01:46:24 PM »
The batch files that I have scheduled in the Windows 10 Task Scheduler were all turned off this morning. I have previously seen Avast treat such batch files as if they were viruses. One source says Avast's Do Not Disturb mode may be responsible, but I don't see any indication in Avast that it is set up to turn off scheduled tasks. Any ideas?

I think this is my first time posting here, so I'll mention a few hindrances here FWIW:

(1) I'm not sure how to use the [url] syntax of the hyperlink button here. The source regarding DND mode is https://superuser.com/questions/808526/task-scheduler-task-keeps-becoming-disabled

(2) The captcha here is too obscure. I can't make out the letters. It took multiple tries to post this.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Does Avast Turn Off Scheduled Tasks?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 03:27:10 PM »
(2) The captcha here is too obscure. I can't make out the letters. It took multiple tries to post this.
Captcha is only needed for your first 3 posts. (Spam protection)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 07:20:10 PM »
The batch files that I have scheduled in the Windows 10 Task Scheduler were all turned off this morning. I have previously seen Avast treat such batch files as if they were viruses. One source says Avast's Do Not Disturb mode may be responsible, but I don't see any indication in Avast that it is set up to turn off scheduled tasks. Any ideas?

@ray_woodcock.
From your post I assume you have some flavour of Win10. Can you tell us which version of Win10?
Also can you tell us which version of Avast and whether free or paid version?

I do not myself run batch files from task scheduler. I have done a forum search and cannot see anything problems similar to yours being reported recently. Did you see any error messages indicating it was Avast stopping them?

Offline ray_woodcock

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 01:23:13 PM »
Thanks for your replies. I did see, within the past week or so, an Avast indication that it was suppressing one of the regularly scheduled batch files. I looked but did not find where I could override that behavior. I didn't see that message repeated for any of the other batch files. I can't remember for sure whether it said it was suppressing only that one file, or rather was suppressing all files of that type.

I'm using Win10 Pro 2004 and free Avast 20.10.2442 (build 20.10.5824.623).

Regarding the captchas, I appreciate that they may be appearing only initially. My point was that, however often they appear, they are too difficult to discern. For example, the second character of the one that I am looking at right now is completely unrecognizable. It has once again taken three tries to get a version of the captcha that I can read.

Update: TenForums has the answer on where to override: https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/172136-what-could-disabling-batch-files-scheduled-task-scheduler.html#post2141532
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 05:11:56 AM by ray_woodcock »

Offline ra[g]e

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2021, 01:56:48 AM »
I would like to confirm that Avast messed with all my scheduled tasks after one of their updates. Wasted hours trying to figure out what was going on.

And it is to do with a stupid "new feature", the "do not disturb" feature which essentially mimics the Windows Focus Assist.

Get your act together devs. Jeez.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2021, 10:05:56 AM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0