Author Topic: Broken package - Error message on startup  (Read 3074 times)

houdinimeow

Broken package - Error message on startup
« on: December 06, 2006, 09:33:57 AM »
Hi, I have had avast installed for 2 weeks, no problems, then yesterday and today on startup it tells me it can not update when i ask for details it tells me "the package is broken". What is the best solution? Should I uninstall and reinstall? Yesterday I did change the security options within the modem could this be interfering with with startup? It has not interfered with any other programs. 

Help please ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Broken package - Error message on startup
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 11:45:52 AM »
Could you update since then or, every time you try to update you got the error?
Does this happen only with automatic updates or every time you update?
Does this happen only after booting?

Which is your firewall?
The best things in life are free.

houdinimeow

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 02:53:23 AM »
I can not update either manually or automatically.  I normally use the firewall from Windows XP but the modem a Siemens SpeedStream has a firewall but this is disabled.

I only get the message on startup.  I do have the security setup on the modem that I need to enter my logon to access the internet for the first time when i  have started up but this has not stopped programs like yahoo messenger connecting automatically on startup. I could try to turn to security off but have found out that someone has gotten hold of my husbands details and I am weary of turning security off due to this. 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 03:16:47 AM »
I can not update either manually or automatically.
Why do you say so? Which is your virus database version? Which error message do you get while updating?

I only get the message on startup.
For this, change (or add) AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds value into the [InetWD] section of avast4.ini file.
You could set the number of seconds to wait before attempting to update. The default is 30 but it may not be enough in some DSL systems. In this case, you can try increasing this e.g. to 60 (1 minute). That should be enough. More details here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1647

houdinimeow

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 10:15:57 PM »
Thank you I will change the delay and see if that works.

The error message is Database did not update and the reason is package broken.  But as i said I will try the suggestion above now.  Thank you so much.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 11:32:27 PM »
Ok, we'll be here if you need further help  :)