Author Topic: Windows xp prfessional  (Read 13745 times)

clueless23

Windows xp prfessional
« on: December 09, 2006, 11:40:00 AM »
ok so it happened like this i used to have windows home edition and supposly a man said he could give profesional fro $100 but instead he gave me fake windows and now i can't download anything from microsft and run any updates . SO i talkd to my mom and i am probobly going to get windows xp professional .Igot a question when u insall new windows will everything erase on my computer becuase that could help me out rite now >:(

Offline sergofun

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Hello, world>_
Re: Windows xp prfessional
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 12:44:30 PM »
Windows installer will erase all your data. Make backup before you'll install new copy of Win XP.
Win XP Pro is good choise, you'll see it! :D

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 03:02:37 PM »
If you check with MS about getting a genuine version and report who sold you the fake/pirated version I believe you might just get a free license number they used to do that.

A lot depends on what you do when you install it, provided you don't allow it to format your partition then it shouldn't delete your data, but it would be wise to back-up your data as sergofun said, emails, favourites, address book, network/ISP settings, passwords, any registrations like avast key, etc.

The New genuine CD for XP Pro should detect an existing installation and you should be able to do an installation over the top. However you would probably be better starting from a completely clean system having backed up what data you have to and format the Partition and then a clean install.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

clueless23

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 01:09:20 AM »
ok i get it now but i have rite now windows xp professional sp1 but it is not genuine so when i get the new windows either home or pro don't know would i be able to install it fine and what is OME will that work too

another question is upgrade what is the difference with all that ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

clueless23

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 01:13:28 AM »
ok here is a site where i found

http://www.softwareoutlet.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=3324&Category_Code=MICS-010&Product_Count=0

so could i install these windows with no problem and will i be able to update and stuff like i used to before i switche to the fake windows by mistake and are they genuine too ??? ??? ??? ???

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 01:42:41 AM »
Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) version of windows XP, pro or home are technically only to be supplied when you purchase hardware, hard disk, motherboard, etc. So technically you could have an issue with WGA, possibly not, but it is an expensive option if it doesn't work.

Upgrades must have a qualifying previous version of windows and that is meant to be a retail version. It doesn't have to be installed but you have to have the genuine CD that it came on available for validating.

You would be safer with a purchase of the Retail version, more costly but less likely to be a problem and it would also be a qualifying product in the future should you choose to get Vista, etc.

Before doing any of this I would contact MS or visit the WGA validation and there should be a link about getting a genuine copy. You may well be able to grass the supplier that sole the copy and possibly get a free license. If you do great, if not, nothing lost.

For an OEM explanation see the link on their own site http://www.softwareoutlet.com/soldas.htm#oemcoa but I think they are dancing around the issue of if it has to be with a system or a hardware purchase.

The second one is the OEM products which are sold mainly to system builders, such as Compaq and Dell (the OEMs). These bulk-pack products do not have fancy packaging materials and are often produced in much higher volume, both of which result in much lower prices that have not been available to the public. The OEM products are of the same quality and often carry the same manufacturer warranty as their retail counterparts (the single-pack). They also often include supporting materials such as manuals and drivers when applicable. However, most of the information is on a CD or on manufacturer's web site.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 01:47:06 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

clueless23

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 01:58:53 AM »
check out this link

http://www.royaldiscount.com/wixphoedsp2.html

does this sound like a good deal and will i be abel to install it good from the fake windows i have now windows xp pro sp 1 ???????????????

clueless23

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 02:01:40 AM »
i have another question if the installation is successfully will it wipe all the memory in my computer and start like over because that is what i am hoping for  ;D because my computer is messed up like my user accounts i can't open and help and support i can't use and some other programs won't open so yea i am hoping it will wipe my memory and be like the first time i got it

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 01:45:18 PM »
I'm sorry I can't check out what are good deals or not that is something you have to decide based on your location, I'm in the UK and haven't got a clue about what is a good deal in the US.

The problem you have you are currently using XP Pro and trying to install a retail version of XP Home is a downgrade (as far as your system is concerned), it may object to trying to install home over pro and as I have previously said you would probably be best to back-up your data and do a clean install.

Memory is volatile and one you boot anything in there is lost. It isn't memory that has your accounts messed up but the data (registry entries, etc.) on the Hard Disk and that is what you need to back-up your data files, etc. and wipe/format your Hard Drive and start again.

However, this isn't a task to be entered into lightly. Based on the input in this topic I feel this is NOT something you should personally undertake and seek help locally, a friend, relative with good computer know how or if the worst comes to the worst local computer shop.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2006, 01:59:09 PM »
Windows installer will erase all your data
If you format the drive (partition) where you will install Windows.
Otherwise, you can update your old installation (overinstallation) and this won't delete your old, bad, data.
So, install with format  ;)
The best things in life are free.

justin1278

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2006, 04:33:17 PM »
check out this link

http://www.royaldiscount.com/wixphoedsp2.html

does this sound like a good deal and will i be abel to install it good from the fake windows i have now windows xp pro sp 1 ???????????????

Yes that seems like a good deal, at walmart XP home is almost $200, so this is much better.

clueless23

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2006, 05:56:36 PM »
i know that is what i told my mom lol ;D but she said she was going to take a look at best buy anyways  8)

clueless23

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2006, 05:57:48 PM »
but i just hope that however i get my windows i hope it is going to be easy to install it over my current fake windows xp pro sp 1 that is the only concern i am having rite now :-\

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2006, 06:22:03 PM »
I believe you are heading for trouble, even if it allows you to install over the top, it should detect the presence of the existing OS, unless you are going to ask it to format the partition before the install.

If you mean literally install one OS over the other without a format, you should only contemplate an install over the top of the same OS XP Pro over XP Pro as there are so many differences between Home and Pro there would be remnants of the Pro Install.

Offline sergofun

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Hello, world>_
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2006, 09:05:44 PM »
clueless23, I think it's better for you to make backup, then format the drive (partition) and, after all, install XP Pro.
As DavidR has said, installing over old OS could make some troubles.
And don't forget to install avast! (or another antivirus) after installing\upgrading Windows.