Author Topic: Shared Document Folder can no longer be shared in a LAN  (Read 8803 times)

Conway

Shared Document Folder can no longer be shared in a LAN
« on: December 09, 2006, 11:54:35 AM »
Hi Guys

I have a problem here.  Lately, I found out that my Shared Document Folder which used to be shared in my LAN can no longer be accessible.  I wonder is it due to the accidental deletion of some files when I used the Spyware Terminator to scan for spywares.  The inaccessibility of my Shared Document Folder in my PC has caused alot of inconvenience to my family members who access this Shared Document Folder very often.

I tried to do a System Restore too but it is futile.  I tried to restore to a point before I installed Spyware Terminator and it was not successful.  Do you guys have any ways to restore my Shared Document Folder so that it can be shared in my LAN again?  For your information, because of this incident, I have completely uninstalled Spyware Terminator.  Is there any tweaks in the 'Administrative Tools' that can be done to restore my Shared Document Folder again?

Hope that you guys can help me out with it. Thanks!

Conway

mauserme

Re: Shared Document Folder can no longer be shared in a LAN
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 01:44:03 PM »
Have you checked your network shares?

Conway

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 01:54:54 PM »
Have you checked your network shares?

What do you mean by network shares?

mauserme

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 02:14:26 PM »
In XP Home navigate to the folder name and right click it.  Click the Sharing tab and make sure you're sharing the folder on the network (the line to "Allow network users to change my files" is optional depending on your needs.  Leave this unchecked if you want read only access). 

If you have XP Pro it can be a little more invloved depending on your settings.

Conway

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 02:51:36 PM »
In XP Home navigate to the folder name and right click it.  Click the Sharing tab and make sure you're sharing the folder on the network (the line to "Allow network users to change my files" is optional depending on your needs.  Leave this unchecked if you want read only access). 

If you have XP Pro it can be a little more invloved depending on your settings.

I have already done what you said as above and I am still experiencing the same problem of not being able to access my Shared Document in my LAN.  What should I do now?

mauserme

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 03:56:23 PM »
If you open My Network Places from a workstation can you see the host computer?

Conway

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 04:13:35 PM »

Yes, I can see the Shared Document Folder but not the host computer from another PC or laptop but cannot access it. What should I do now?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 04:15:23 PM by Conway »

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 05:06:42 PM »

Yes, I can see the Shared Document Folder but not the host computer from another PC or laptop but cannot access it. What should I do now?

So You see the Shared folder but you do not see the PC that is hosting the folder?

"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Conway

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2006, 06:20:56 PM »

So You see the Shared folder but you do not see the PC that is hosting the folder?

Yes, I can only see the Shared Folder but not the PC that is hosting the folder. So, what should I do now? Is there any ways to tweak the 'Administrative Tools' in the Control Panel in order to make the Shared Folder accessible again?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2006, 06:38:12 PM »
I have never set up a system to do this, curious really, but wouldn't it follow that you can ONLY see the folders you have set-up to shares on ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2006, 06:47:28 PM »
Go to the PC that is hosting the folder and make sure it is on the same Workgroup as your computer. also disable any firewall (including the windows firewall) and see if that helps. if you are in Xp you can try running the network setup wizard again
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

mauserme

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2006, 10:45:48 PM »
Just to make sure I understand:

-- While working on the host computer you can see the folder named Shared Document Folder in the explorer.

-- While working on a different computer you are not able to see the computer that hosts the Shared Document Folder.

-- While working on a different computer you can see the folder named Shared Document Folder on the host computer in the explorer (not a folder that might have the same or similar name on the local computer).

Is that all correct?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2006, 11:08:20 PM »
Same Workgroup name and Windows firewall are generally the ones who mess the shared folders  ::)
The best things in life are free.

Conway

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2006, 02:57:31 PM »
I have never set up a system to do this, curious really, but wouldn't it follow that you can ONLY see the folders you have set-up to shares on ?

Yes, you can only see the folders you have setup to share on.

Conway

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2006, 03:00:07 PM »
Go to the PC that is hosting the folder and make sure it is on the same Workgroup as your computer. also disable any firewall (including the windows firewall) and see if that helps. if you are in Xp you can try running the network setup wizard again

Hi Mac

What is network setup wizard? Where can you find the network setup wizard in Windows XP so that you can run it again?