Author Topic: Shared Document Folder can no longer be shared in a LAN  (Read 8804 times)

Conway

Re: Shared Document Folder can no longer be shared in a LAN
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2006, 03:18:53 PM »
Just to make sure I understand:

-- While working on the host computer you can see the folder named Shared Document Folder in the explorer.

-- While working on a different computer you are not able to see the computer that hosts the Shared Document Folder.

-- While working on a different computer you can see the folder named Shared Document Folder on the host computer in the explorer (not a folder that might have the same or similar name on the local computer).

Is that all correct?

Hi Mauserme

1. While working on the host computer you can see the folder named Shared Document Folder in the explorer.
>>Yes, while working on the host computer I can see the folder named Shared Document Folder in the explorer/inside "My Computer".

2. While working on a different computer you are not able to see the computer that hosts the Shared Document Folder.
>>Yes, while working on a different computer(PC A), I am not able to see the host computer(PC B) in another computer(PC A) but the previously existing Shared Document is still there in PC A.

3. While working on a different computer you can see the folder named Shared Document Folder on the host computer in the explorer (not a folder that might have the same or similar name on the local computer).
>>Yes, while working on a different computer(PC A), I can see the folder named Shared Document Folder on the host computer(PC B) in the explorer/"My Computer". (Yes, not the Shared Document folder that originate from the local computer.)

Hope that is clear to you.

Conway

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2006, 03:29:19 PM »
Same Workgroup name and Windows firewall are generally the ones who mess the shared folders  ::)

Hi Tech

I very much doubted that the same workgroup name is the cause of it but rather I don't dismiss that Firewall could be the cause of it as I have installed the Comodo Firewall recently.  However, I have also installed Spyware Terminator and during a scan I have accidentally deleted some files which seem harmless to me.  I tried to do a System Restore but it is futile and cannot be performed.

Hope that you guys do have a solution for me to rectify my problem.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 03:32:12 PM by Conway »

mauserme

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2006, 03:43:38 PM »
I have also installed Spyware Terminator and during a scan I have accidentally deleted some files which seem harmless to me.

Is it possible the files you're trying to find are the ones that were deleted?

... I have installed the Comodo Firewall recently.

Open Comodo (right click the icon in the system tray), click the Security tab, click Tasks, and run the Define A New Trusted Network wizard.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2006, 03:44:16 PM »
What is network setup wizard?
Windows Explorer > Control Panel > Network Connections > Network Winzard should be here...

I have installed the Comodo Firewall recently.
Disable it and test...

However, I have also installed Spyware Terminator and during a scan I have accidentally deleted some files which seem harmless to me.  I tried to do a System Restore but it is futile and cannot be performed.
Did you remember the name of the infected file? Did you sent it to ST Quarentine or just delete it  :'( ?
The best things in life are free.

Conway

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2006, 10:41:37 AM »
Hi Guys

Thanks for all the help that you have rendered.  My problem is resolved now.

I am able to share my Shared Document Folder on my Desktop to all the PCs and Notebooks in my household's network.  I will show it here how I did it so that others can benefit from it too.

This is how I did it -

I performed a Network Setup Wizard as recommended by Mac and Tech on the Desktop that is going to have its Shared Document Folder Shared.

After that, I go to one of my Notebooks to delete the existing Shared Document Folder icon found in the "My Network Places" as this link is already corrupted.

Once deleted, I click on "Start" and then click on "Run" to type in this command in the field :-

Syntax
net view [\\ComputerName] [/domain[:DomainName]]

Parameters
\\ComputerName
Specifies the computer that contains the shared resources that you want to view.

/domain[:DomainName]
Specifies the domain for which you want to view the available computers. If you omit DomainName, /domain displays all of the domains in the network.

You can check and see what Computer name you registered as by right-clicking on "My Computer" and click on "Properties" and you should be able to see your ComputerName in the "General" tab or "Computer Name" tab.

In your "Computer Name" tab, you not only can see your ComputerName but also your DomainName under your "Workgroup".

With this information, you can type in to your "Run" field and perform a search on your remote computer (in my case is the notebook).  Once located, you can either copy the respective new Shared Document Folder icon and paste it to the "My Network Places" in your remote computer or you can create a shortcut on the desktop of your remote computer.

Once all the above are performed, Bingo...your problem is resolved and your Shared Document Folder can be accessed on your remote computer.

Hope the above is clear enough for those who need help to rectify the same issue as me.

Conway  ;)

« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 10:48:07 AM by Conway »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2006, 01:37:42 PM »
I will show it here how I did it so that others can benefit from it too.
Thanks for sharing!
The best things in life are free.

Conway

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2006, 01:52:05 PM »
I will show it here how I did it so that others can benefit from it too.
Thanks for sharing!

No Worries!

We should help one another, just as you guys have helped me too.

Conway  :)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 01:53:51 PM by Conway »