Author Topic: Spyware Terminator and Avast don't mix  (Read 7531 times)

New_Age

Spyware Terminator and Avast don't mix
« on: December 10, 2006, 02:54:14 PM »
Hi,

Eversince I got home Avast! has been causing major CPU usage while scanning the Spyware Terminator.exe and the Spyware TerminatorSield.exe. I have no clue to what has caused this as it just started yesterday night eversince I came home from my friends house. I did however install their new version but I didn't notice this problem after I had it installed with over 4 days. But... now Avast! is starting to have problems. I didn't accept that AV program either while Installing Spyware Terminator.

So... what's the problem?

Version of Spyware Terminator: 1.7.0.883 (latest)

Note: Ignore my Sig. as I haven't had the time to update it.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 03:16:55 PM by New_Age »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Spyware Terminator and Avast don't mix
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 03:16:06 PM »
Which are the situation of the residents? Are avast and ST residents running?
Are you refering to avast on-access or on-demand scaning?
The best things in life are free.

New_Age

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 03:19:03 PM »
Both were running but for now I have disabled both Avast! and ST all together for now cause everytime I try to type and reply it hangs.

Yes... I believe it's the Access scanner.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 03:48:04 PM »
Both were running but for now I have disabled both Avast! and ST all together for now cause everytime I try to type and reply it hangs.
If you disable ST resident, will avast detect anything? Will it hang your system?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 03:56:39 PM »
I disabled the Resident elements of ST from the first time I installed it and had no problems with it and avast.

I have however, now uninstalled it, I didn't like the interface and options that I failed to understand what they would do, so it is history. I continue to use ewido and adaware for on-demand anti-spyware detection.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

New_Age

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 07:07:12 PM »
If you disable ST resident, will avast detect anything? Will it hang your system?
This is weird. AshServ.exe is using 99% of my CPU Usage. I don't even have ST running  ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 07:22:01 PM »
This is weird. AshServ.exe is using 99% of my CPU Usage. I don't even have ST running  ???
Which is your firewall? Any other security program installed?

Offline sergofun

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Hello, world>_
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 09:59:35 PM »
New_Age, I've disabled the Resident elements of Spyware Terminator after installing it (too long to start many rules). Now I don't have any problem with using avast! and ST together.
I don't unistall ST, because it has some things, which can restore Windows after infection.

New_Age

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 10:07:01 PM »
Which is your firewall? Any other security program installed?
I only use the Windows SP2 based Firewall. I have AVG Anti-Spyware, Ad-Ware and SUPERAnti-Spyware but none have Real-Time Protection Enable.

I still have Avast! and ST Disabled.

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2006, 10:59:38 PM »
As for me I have the latest Avast & ST installed, & it seems I don't have any problems with them -- everything working just fine.

New_Age

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2006, 11:19:16 PM »
Hmm... I wonder if I should just do a clean Install of Avast!?  :-\

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2006, 11:24:27 PM »
It certainly shouldn't hurt, download the latest version, perhaps download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD  as well so you can find them later.

Uninstall, boot, run the Uninstall Utility, boot, install the latest version. Watch out for any security based program pop-up asking for permission for avast processes.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 01:12:06 AM »
New_Age, I've disabled the Resident elements of Spyware Terminator after installing it (too long to start many rules). Now I don't have any problem with using avast! and ST together.
New Age, I did the same as sergofun. I stay only with avast as resident and ST as an on-demmand scanner.
Clean install of avast should help.
1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot
3. Use Avast Uninstall for complete uninstallation (read http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_uninstall_util.html)
4. Boot
5. Install again and Boot.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2006, 02:01:33 AM »
Tech, the link to avast_uninstall_util.html has changed and is now http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-uninstall-utility.html.

New_Age

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2006, 02:49:47 AM »
Ok a reinstall of Avast! seems to have worked but I'll let anyone know if I encounter any other problems. I just don't see why Avast! acted like this as this is it's second time. The first was caused by a program I had that I was unaware on my computer  ::)

But it was an odd issue but it's fixed  :)