Author Topic: Spyware Terminator and Avast don't mix  (Read 7529 times)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Spyware Terminator and Avast don't mix
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2006, 04:02:46 AM »
New_Age

it is good to know that the problem appears to be overcome for you.  I hope that we can keep in our collective memory that a reinstall took care of this for you.

It would be much more satisfying if we had managed to isolate the real issue that created the CPU utilization problem on your system. 

Ah well ... maybe next time, but let's hope it is not on your system.

Offline sergofun

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Hello, world>_
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2006, 02:00:46 PM »
Zone Alarm Pro 6.1.744.001 (anti-spyware module) says Spyware Terminator is spyware! :P

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2006, 03:47:28 PM »
Zone Alarm Pro 6.1.744.001 (anti-spyware module) says Spyware Terminator is spyware! :P
Hmmm... I'm becoming worried...  :( >:(
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2006, 04:07:00 PM »
I'm afraid in this case I wouldn't take the detection in the case of a firewall AS module with a pinch of salt. Perhaps they are looking at the previous form of the parent company, now seen as not being a problem at SpywareWarrior.com on the rogue anti-spyware page.

I also don't feel anti-spyware bolt on plug-ins in suites or Pro versions of firewalls are up to much either. I disabled the AS plug-in in Outpost Pro, speeded up my boot time no end as avast wasn't looking over its shoulder. I believe firewalls should concentrate on being forewalls and not all things to all men.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2006, 09:22:57 PM »
Spyware Terminator is not spyware, the ST people have been in contact with the ZA people about this.But the latest version of ST is a bit buggy and this could be (in part) the reason. Have a look at the ST forums, they are working hard to resolve several issues.
I've been fortunate, ST and Avast, plus a few others, no problems worth mentioning.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline sergofun

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Hello, world>_
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2006, 02:57:45 PM »
Some links about ZA & ST:
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=894335
http://forum.spywareterminator.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&m=2401
Tarq57, I saw you there ;)
May be you are right - ST not a spyware, but I'm in doubt.
It's too many problems with ST (may be because it's beta): too many rules, too many troubles, to  many questions...
I hope it's better for me to be in safe without ST - I've uninstalled it.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2006, 11:25:26 PM »
To sergofun, did you read post #28 on that wilders link? If not, that should go some way to resolving doubts. Although it's not actually a Beta right now, as you may have seen, for some users it's behaving like a Beta. It's impossible to know what percentage of users are having problems with it. But I'm sure not one of them. Hopefully the reported bugs will be resolved with the next release.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline sergofun

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Hello, world>_
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2006, 03:12:29 AM »
Tarq57 , thank you.
I’ve read it. It’s really interesting: “It is also very important to point out that all previous activities were shut down - we simply don't distribute any old Ibis/WebSearch products. We state in our Privacy Policy: "we will not share, rent or sell any of your personally identifiable information provided by you." … there is simply no existing adware/spyware distribution, the applications are not calling home for instructions, and we are not selling personal data”.
But I’ve made my choice and don’t want to go back.