Author Topic: Anybody tried Cyberhawk with Avast?  (Read 3355 times)

iangh

Anybody tried Cyberhawk with Avast?
« on: April 26, 2006, 01:55:42 AM »
http://www.novatix.com/cyberhawk/

Looks nice but causes system to freeze when you start avast to do a scan or change protector settings.

Anybody tried it/using it with no problems?

Ian

CharleyO

Re: Anybody tried Cyberhawk with Avast?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 04:58:30 AM »

No, I have not tried it. Looks interesting but I can see how some of the listed features might not work well with avast.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 05:10:09 AM by CharleyO »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 05:00:38 AM »
Please see the many threads here that advise you not to try to run more than one antivirus product at a time - they get in the way of each other. 

Cyberhawk (has it come out of beta yet?) also advertises itself as an antivirus and antispyware product. 

I think you have to decide not just which product you want to run but which you want to have installed on your system.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 05:04:19 AM by alanrf »

iangh

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 06:08:27 AM »
Thanks for this.

Cyberhawk want to know details about my h/w and s/w. If they can get them both working, fine.

Avast does work with Cyberhawk in that the globe spins and the protectors work.

In order to run a scan or change a protector setting I have to suspend Cyberhawk or the system freezes.

If I get an update I will post as it does say you do not need to uninstall your a-v.

Ian

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 03:24:13 PM »
I'm trying the released version 1.2.0.39 and whilst I haven't experienced any of the problems you mentioned, I'm not overly impressed with this program.

On this screenshot (double click the systray icon) none of the icons or buttons appear to work, almost like a beta version with planned but not functional operations. Yet if I select the 'Status' from a right click of the cyberhawk systray icon the Top row of buttons work.

The same was true of the so called CyberHawk Orientation that pops up after installation, you can click the Next button till the cows come home and nothing happens.

I have not found or been able to access any Options (on the screenshot) or user settings and I prefer to know what is meant to be going on with my security programs, I am not a fan of the black arts and the trust me I know best program settings. The help file would seem to be on the small side for a program of this nature.

So this program might not live long and prosper on my system, it just seems unfinished despite it not being in beta any longer. If the GUI isn't polished when that is all you can see of the product it doesn't fill me with confidence.

Well I had planned to uninstall it as part of my trial to see how it uninstalled, any issues, any remnants. I completed an uninstall (which was relatively slow) and during that it insisted I close open windows for three programs OE, Firefox and two Notepad windows. I did that and cyberhawk promptly opened firefox (default browser) and tried to establish a connection (why is the question), which I blocked. It also pops-up a do you want to reboot now dialogue box which I declined as it had opened firefox, I closed all programs and rebooted.

I ran a registry checker after the uninstall and reboot ant it found several entries (nothing major), which I deleted.

So the uninstall test was OK, but because of my previous comments, cyberhawk wont be re-installed, I will wait for it to be more mature and polished before trying again, I'm very picky about what I install on my system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 03:31:09 PM »
On this screenshot (double click the systray icon) none of the icons or buttons appear to work, almost like a beta version with planned but not functional operations. Yet if I select the 'Status' from a right click of the cyberhawk systray icon the Top row of buttons work.
I hope this is not another freeware that, after using a lot of beta testers, become a shareware  :-* :-*
ProcessGuard and SMS did this  :P :P

So the uninstall test was OK, but because of my previous comments, cyberhawk wont be re-installed, I will wait for it to be more mature and polished before trying again, I'm very picky about what I install on my system.
I'm feeling the same...
The best things in life are free.