Author Topic: Sharp practice  (Read 2376 times)

Offline simon3frogs

Sharp practice
« on: March 16, 2021, 11:00:56 AM »
I accepted an offer to buy the premium clean-up tool at a discounted price (£20 rather than £50). Avast took my money and issued an invoice. However the link in the confirmation invoice delivered something for a Microsoft computer which of course did not work on my Mac. When I went through the Avast website I received a message telling me that my payment had failed but that I could buy the product for £35. This is classic 'bait and switch' which, if not illegal, is certainly dishonest. And to say that my payment had failed when Avast knew it had not failed is quite simply a lie. Avast have offered to refund my money but that is not the point: their business practices are dishonest.

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Sharp practice
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 12:54:03 PM »
I accepted an offer to buy the premium clean-up tool at a discounted price (£20 rather than £50). Avast took my money and issued an invoice. However the link in the confirmation invoice delivered something for a Microsoft computer which of course did not work on my Mac. When I went through the Avast website I received a message telling me that my payment had failed but that I could buy the product for £35. This is classic 'bait and switch' which, if not illegal, is certainly dishonest. And to say that my payment had failed when Avast knew it had not failed is quite simply a lie. Avast have offered to refund my money but that is not the point: their business practices are dishonest.

Hi,

We are sorry to hear about your ordeal.
According to our system, you had a trial version of Avast Cleanup Premium Mac which expired on Mar/13/2021 (you cancelled the auto-renewal prior to the expiration date). On Mar/13/2021 you placed an order for Avast Cleanup Premium (for PC) at a discounted price. We sent a notification after your purchase to inform you about the price you paid and the activation code etc. The only case (ticket id:12800373) you seemed to have raised with us was for a refund and there was no mention of the issue you experienced. If you would have informed us that you needed a license for Mac instead of Windows then would have been able to provide you with a new license.
We would appreciate it if you could provide more details about the message you received informing you that your payment had failed but that you could buy the product for £35. Was this before, after you received the order confirmation email from us or during the checkout process? If possible, could you please provide us with the full URL of the website on which you made your purchase?
You can PM (Private message) me the details if you wish.

Offline simon3frogs

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 03:12:40 PM »
You must have known that I had a Mac as I have been running Avast on my device for years.   I have tried to inform you of my difficulty via the email address for "Customer Service" (!)  support@avast.com but this is disconnected: 'Dear customer, this email address is temporary not used by our support, in case you need an assistance please contact us via https://support.avast.com, thank you'. If there is any other way of contacting you I did not find it.    I received the 'Payment failed' message on your website after I had received  your confirmation and invoice for my supposed purchase. The link in the email inviting me to buy the product took me to https://store.avast.com/store/avast/en_GB/buy/productID.5131291600/ThemeID.4871168000/Currency.GBP/OfferID.60214761901/CustomID.VSOFF/clearCart.1/isGeoLocation.1/ASWPARAM.eyJwX2dsaWMiOiIwMDZjNWViMzRjYWI0YTNmYTllYmVhYmYxOTMyNGViMyIsInBfYWxwIjoiMSJ9?utm_content=488699&utm_term=196350637_6_18&utm_medium=email&utm_source=sfmc&utm_campaign=c_rc_paac_cln_a_18q1_uk_exp0pre

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 05:06:35 PM »
You must have known that I had a Mac as I have been running Avast on my device for years.   I have tried to inform you of my difficulty via the email address for "Customer Service" (!)  support@avast.com but this is disconnected: 'Dear customer, this email address is temporary not used by our support, in case you need an assistance please contact us via https://support.avast.com, thank you'. If there is any other way of contacting you I did not find it.    I received the 'Payment failed' message on your website after I had received  your confirmation and invoice for my supposed purchase. The link in the email inviting me to buy the product took me to https://store.avast.com/store/avast/en_GB/buy/productID.5131291600/ThemeID.4871168000/Currency.GBP/OfferID.60214761901/CustomID.VSOFF/clearCart.1/isGeoLocation.1/ASWPARAM.eyJwX2dsaWMiOiIwMDZjNWViMzRjYWI0YTNmYTllYmVhYmYxOTMyNGViMyIsInBfYWxwIjoiMSJ9?utm_content=488699&utm_term=196350637_6_18&utm_medium=email&utm_source=sfmc&utm_campaign=c_rc_paac_cln_a_18q1_uk_exp0pre

Hi,

Thank you for the additional information.
The contact form is available via http://support.avast.com/ -  you need to select the product you are having trouble with and then select "CONTAC US" - it will take you to https://support.avast.com/en-gb/contact/
Furthermore, if you received an offer for a PC related product and you never purchased any PC related product from us, then we are sorry as this would have been sent in error. We take reports of this nature very seriously and our development team is trying to determine what happened with the purchase. Please accept our apology for any inconvenienced caused.

Offline simon3frogs

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 03:05:10 PM »
Since starting this thread I have had first class customer service from Avast and am now a satisfied customer.